How to butt together 4 walls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Looks OK to me. :icon_thum A couple of things to make it better:
1. Be sure you get some blocking in the wall for your hand sink to mount to. One of my pet peeves is going into a restaurant or store & the lavatory looks like it's held on the wall with about 5 layers of silicone caulk. Have your plumber tell you what he needs.

2. Use purlins on the ends of the ceiling joists to help support the floor plywood for the deck above.

3. Going up & down to that storage area much? How about blocking out for a ladder out of 2 x 6 stringers & 2 x 4 rungs dadoed in. Attach it with 'L' clips & lag bolts.

4. Insulate EVERYTHING!
HTH

Thanks for the help!

The sink will be free standing utility sink on the outside of the bathroom wall.
The "purlins" are boards between each joist (or each stud) right? - should I put them all the way out on the ends of the joists - or over the top plate?
I am also going to put purlins in between the studs (not shown in sketchup) to help keep them straight (wet, treated studs)

Planning to build some stairs up the side to the top. The stairs will be between the bathroom and the finishing room (yet to be layed out and built on the side opposite from the door)

Here is an off-the-wall (pun intended) - I use screws a lot in smaller 2x4 projects so I can disassemble mista.. design changes easier. :embarrassed:
Any reason not to use screws to build walls? Seems like they would hold better, but there is a cost impact.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sink will be free standing utility sink on the outside of the bathroom wall. Perfect!
The "purlins" are boards between each joist (or each stud) right? Yep.
- should I put them all the way out on the ends of the joists - or over the top plate?
Ends of joists is OK< but you could also use a continuous length 2x6 set out beyond the outer edge of the top plate. Then you could butt our outside wall covering up to it & finish with a piece of shoe mould for a good effect. If you REALLY want to get fancy, use a 2 x 8 & rabbet the sheathing into the top edge so it doesn't show.
I am also going to put purlins in between the studs (not shown in sketchup) to help keep them straight (wet, treated studs) :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Planning to build some stairs up the side to the top. The stairs will be between the bathroom and the finishing room (yet to be layed out and built on the side opposite from the door)
Stairs are good. Don't over complicate their layout & be sure to keep risers all the same height within 1/4". Make a good sturdy handrail too.
Here is an off-the-wall (pun intended) - I use screws a lot in smaller 2x4 projects so I can disassemble mista.. design changes easier. :embarrassed:
Any reason not to use screws to build walls? Seems like they would hold better, but there is a cost impact.
Screws are super. Be sure to get the ones approved for use with treated lumber if you're going through or into any of it. Buy yourself a long screw shank with the slide over sleeve for long screws. It helps keep them from wobbling off the tip while you start the screw.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Starting to come together.

BathWallsStart.jpg

BathDoorFrame.jpg

Got to put on the top flooring and add the purlins, but nearly finished the framing. Was not sure of the best way to attach the top joists - so I put in a screw at an angle from the bottom to hold them while I put on the end caps. (everything is screwed together)
I could add hurricane clips if needed, but I don't think the joist are going anywhere. Maybe a code requirement?
bathFrame.jpg

I had to notch out the 2x6 base plate for the sewer vent. Is there anything beside installing the nail plate left to do with this?

PipeNotch.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lookin' good! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Hurricane clips are not required unless it is a roof configuration. If the roof comes off the shop the ceiling on your toilet will be the LEAST of your worries. :gar-Bi
Stud guards/plates are required on any piping within 1-1/4" of the stud face.
Be sure to add ceiling blocking atop the plates parallel to the joists unless you use ceiling drywall clips.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Lookin' good! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Hurricane clips are not required unless it is a roof configuration. If the roof comes off the shop the ceiling on your toilet will be the LEAST of your worries. :gar-Bi......

Hey now, when I was in Florida, they always told us in case of a tornado or the hurricane starting to dis-assemble your house to "go to an interior bathroom, get in the tub and cover yourself with a mattress or thick blanket". You are gonna have a tub, ain't ya?:mrgreen:

Go

PS: Great looking shop. The reason I haven't posted earlier is due to just plain green-eyed envy:embaresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS