How many make their living in wood?

Do you make your living from woodworking?

• No, I'm a hobbyist, I pay to play.

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • I'm retired and get a little extra income from wood work.

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • I work full time elsewhere and work wood on the side.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I'm a woodworker and do other things to supplement.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I make all my livelihood from working wood.

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm just curious how many make their living working with wood. It could be custom woodwork, carpentry, as a sawyer or any wood related field.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I did ww as a side busines in NJ. I'd like to do it here eventually, but I don't want to do cabinet/installation/trim work anymore, I'd like something where most of my work is in the shop:mrgreen:, just like most of us I'm sure.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I work for a homebuilder/developer. I would like to eventually make money from my shop but time is a precious commodity right now.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I am a carpenter for Uncle Sam by day, and a woodworker by night. I beleive I could quit my job and run Project Woodworks full time, but it is a little too risky right now with 4 young kids.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I work for a custom home contractor/finisher then try to get shop time - but here lately I have had alot of shop time and try to get work time

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for posing the question, I am one of the retired folks doing woodworking to (occasionally) supplement income. I look forward to the poll figures. :wsmile:

wdkits1

New User
Mike
I retired from electrical work 2 years ago but have had a part time ww business since 94 with the intention of going full time eventually.
Because of health issues.[bad knees and back problems] I have finally made the jump to full time ww. I am now doing what I want to do, small custom woodworks, furniture repair and refinishing, intarsia art and selling intarsia project kits.I get to meet a better caliber of people who need my services and really enjoy being my own boss,of course not excluding the other boss [LOML].:icon_thum

Mike

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I am a carpenter for Uncle Sam by day, and a woodworker by night. I beleive I could quit my job and run Project Woodworks full time, but it is a little too risky right now with 4 young kids.

Another thing people don;t think of is the extra taxs you have to pay and you are also on the full hook for benifits, retirement, etc...

I also work for the Fed Gov and will probable stay with the gov for my life due to having the benifits for myself and family. My wife works private sector (IBM) so she takes the risk for work. I have to be the safety net.

Yea I love to start a business and make money at it. But the risk is to high. That and something i always tell others. Don't make a career out of your hobby as then you will not have anything to relax with. I use to work on cars and became a auto tech to pay for college. I hated working on cars at the time. But now I like to do it as i do it by my rules and my time, not someone elses.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I went back and forth about whether to go with "hobby" or "side" since my sales are so few and far between (and would not feed any living creature very long), but finally decided it was binary - either you have or you haven't sold work and I have, plus I intend to do more and eventually semi-retire doing it. So I voted as having a different full time job and working wood on the side.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I went into woodworking full time 16 years ago. I made profit from day 1 .

The reality is--------there is a huge difference in making profit and making a living. Had my wife not gone to public work, I could not have survived on the income from the shop as a one man operation.

I went in as a legitimate business with tax ID, registered company name etc.------that gave me an advantage in buying material and tax credits for machinery and supplies. But, you have to show income to offset the advantages. The business paid for everything connected to it------machinery, show expenses, advertising, etc. and had money left over. What I did not have was paid insurance, retirement plan from an employer, paid holidays, bonuses, etc. I probably saved more than I would have if I had been someones employee. The reason------I NEVER drew a salary from the shop income------we lived on the income my wife brought home.

Summed up--------I can not truthfull say I made a LIVING in the shop.

Jerry

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I went into woodworking full time 16 years ago. I made profit from day 1 .

The reality is--------there is a huge difference in making profit and making a living. Had my wife not gone to public work, I could not have survived on the income from the shop as a one man operation.

I went in as a legitimate business with tax ID, registered company name etc.------that gave me an advantage in buying material and tax credits for machinery and supplies. But, you have to show income to offset the advantages. The business paid for everything connected to it------machinery, show expenses, advertising, etc. and had money left over. What I did not have was paid insurance, retirement plan from an employer, paid holidays, bonuses, etc. I probably saved more than I would have if I had been someones employee. The reason------I NEVER drew a salary from the shop income------we lived on the income my wife brought home.

Summed up--------I can not truthfull say I made a LIVING in the shop.

Jerry

Well stated, Jerry. I remember you and I having a similar conversation up at your place.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am a hobbyist, albeit a tool crazed one. Once in a while I do a project on the side, and I may start doing more. The thing for me is I already have a full time job and my shop time is just that. My shop time. I like it to be relaxing and fun. When it quits being relaxing and fun is when I change hobbies.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Full time, own my own company, carpenter/woodworker +-30 years. Not the easiest way to make a living, but very gratifing. Raised 2 kids and wife has never worked outside home. Wish I could get her to do the books but probably better she dosen't want anything to do with the business.

Robb Parker
Heritage Woodwright LLC

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Does drawing on paper (made from wood) plans for where folks should plant woody trees and shrubs count?
I didn't think so. Full time job, side income from woodworking projects to fund the tool collection.

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Voted Retired but make a little money (no profit). But I have sold enough since I got my lathe in August 2007 to pay for the lathe and miscellaneous accessories.

Now if I could only get a client to make a MAJOR purchase I could pay for the new shop I am building. Let's see at the current rate of sales I should have the shop paid for in about 40 years. Wow that would make me 100 years old. I wonder if I can turn and hold onto a walker at the same time. :wsad:

I never got into wood working to make money/profit....mainly because I just enjoy making sawdust.

rhett

New User
rhett
I try to make a living in only wood, but do supplement it with other trade work. Unfortunately, if you are even a decent woodworker, you will do much nicer work than most other tradesmen. The attention to detail really shines through. Its not like I enjoy trim work, tile, hardwood flooring,....any other skilled job, but if it gets money coming in until the next woodworking project then so be it. I will keep at it until there are only woodworking projects to do, and continue to be more than grateful that I have a wonderful wife who supports my ambitions.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Full-time woodworker for about 5 yrs , after a 22 year career in the textile chemicals biz. The textile customer base dried up here in the states and I went with my hobby. Make a living, I'm not. My wife has a good job. If I was in the country and had my shop in my back yard I'd be doing okay. My overhead consumes a lot of what could be profit but at least I enjoy what I'm doing. Hopefully we will be able to transition to a new address one of these days with a shop out back.
Rob

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was raised in construction - commercial & residentnial BITD when contractors weren't so specialized. My dad & I did a little of everything. Nowadays I'm a Project Superintendent on medical & office buildings & upfits. About the only woodworking I get to see is blocking or sheathing on metal studs or the occasional chair rail, base, or crown when our regular carpenters can't do it. But I like to keep my hand in, so to speak, so I'm trying out new things I'm learning from you guys. :eusa_danc

Dragon

New User
David
Voted hobbyist but I'd like to make a full-time proposition. Problem today is the economy isn't so great and I like to eat regularly. Hopefully in the near future I go at it full-time and see how it goes. I've seen some really outrageous prices on the web for some of the simple things I've seen on here we do for the fun of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS