How Long shold my feet be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I am making a free-standing 'display' with two legs (think of a free-standing chalkboard or free-standing headboard, etc.). To keep it from falling over, is there some ratio (foot length to display height) I need to follow to make it stable, but without making them so long that they get tripped over? The overall height is currently about 5'.

Regards,
Chris Mathes

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would guess that 2½' - 3' overall (both sides) would be adequate. I don't think that there is a rule. To many factors like the weight of the top, amount of knock-over forces present, etc.
You might want to go to a place that sells something similar and check to see how they are sized. I am sure that this has been researched, and the safest size has been determined.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think feet should be 12 inches. This imperial system is difficult enough already without having variable feet! At the very least your feet should be long enough to fit your shoes.

But, on a serious note, I'd employ the Golden Ratio. In other words, the height should be 1.68 times the width. In this case, that comes out to be almost 3 feet. That's the same number DaveO suggested, but this might make you feel more "secure" about it.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think feet should be 12 inches. This imperial system is difficult enough already without having variable feet! At the very least your feet should be long enough to fit your shoes.

But, on a serious note, I'd employ the Golden Ratio. In other words, the height should be 1.68 times the width. In this case, that comes out to be almost 3 feet. That's the same number DaveO suggested, but this might make you feel more "secure" about it.

Wow you Europeans crack me up :rolf: I've been blessed with exactly 12" long feet in my shoes. It comes in very handy when getting some quick measurements at work. I have had a few client challenge my "foot" measurements and I am only off about a 1" over 20' and that is probably due to operator error.
I am glad to see that there was a rational behind my WAG for the length :cool:
I don't think it is as importnat to have feet long enough to fit your shoes, but shoes long enough to fit your feet....

From the Guinness Book of World Records:

"The tallest man in medical history was Robert Wadlow (USA). When measured in June 1940, shortly before his death, he was 8ft. 11.1 in. (2.72 m.) tall. His greatest recorded weight was 491 lb.(222.71 kg) on his 21st birthday. He weighed 438 lb. (199 kg) at the time of his death. His shoe size was 37AA (18.5 in. or 47 cm long) and his hands measured 12.75 in. (32.4 cm) from the wrist to the tip ofthe middle finger. His arm span was 9 ft. 5.75 in. (2.88 m) and his peak daily foodconsumption was 8,000 calories. At the age of nine, he was able to carry his father, Harold F. Wadlow, who stood 5 ft. 11 in. (1.8 m) and weighed 170 lb. (77 kg), up the stairs of the family home."

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Phew I'm getting dizzy = can we stick with one rule of measurement please - This is America isn't it? Thank God we don't apply the same rules while driving or we would really have problems :help:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Yes...Bas...excellent advice. 12"/foot...consistency is best. I did think about the golden mean, but was thinking that was more of an aesthetic rule than one of stability. I may be quite wrong there after thinking about the strength of a nautical shell, but anyhow...I digress (which we all have done in this post). I do believe that DaveO's point is important in regard to where the weight is central, etc (center of gravity). It seems that if you identified that point (how high off the ground the center of gravity resides) that you could make your calculation based on that as opposed to the height of the overall structure... anyhow...thanks for the humor...that's always appreciated. My original subject was phrased around shoe and glove size, but then I remembered DaveO would be reading this with his daughter and I didn't want him to have to explain that one...haha

Chris

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I like my feet long enough to keep me up during a windstorm.

Had you considered an "easel" arrangement? Tripod is very stable, the front feet won't stick out too far allowing observers a closer look at your art.

Just a late night idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS