How do I tune bandsaw bearing guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I just upgraded to a Jet 18" band saw with bearing guides. My former saw had conventional guides with cool blocks and i generally set the guides to a sheet of paper distance from the blade.
How do I adjust the Jet guides to best tune the saw. i.e. should the blade actually be embedded in the groove in the rear thrust bearing? Should the side bearings touch the blade and if so how much pressure should be applied for optimal functionality.

Do the adjustments change when using different types of blades?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Another comment, A post last week had several comments on moving a larger band saw. I followed the advise of others and transported the unit standing upright with 3 sets of rachet straps (front, middle and rear of truck bed with the saw in the middle of the truck bed. i was fortunate as my employer allowed me to use a truck with a Tommy Lift. This was a lifesaver in conjunction with an appliance mover. I was able to move it with help from my son, wife and daughter with no difficulties. The only portion left is moving it from the shipping pallet to a mobile base.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a slightly more modest 14" Grizzly, but the principle should be the same. The space between the bearings and the blade should be about the thickness of a dollar bill (or sheet of paper). What I usually do is set them so they _just_ touch the blade, then back off a hair. The rear bearing should definitely not touch the blade when spinning the blade by hand. Only when cutting should there be contact. Also, the side bearings should be positioned so they will only touch the body of the blade, not the teeth. That's easy with a wide blade, not so easy with a narrow blade.

This video may help -> http://thewoodwhisperer.com/bandsaw-setup-tuneup/

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a slightly more modest 14" Grizzly, but the principle should be the same. The space between the bearings and the blade should be about the thickness of a dollar bill (or sheet of paper). What I usually do is set them so they _just_ touch the blade, then back off a hair. The rear bearing should definitely not touch the blade when spinning the blade by hand. Only when cutting should there be contact. Also, the side bearings should be positioned so they will only touch the body of the blade, not the teeth. That's easy with a wide blade, not so easy with a narrow blade.

This video may help -> http://thewoodwhisperer.com/bandsaw-setup-tuneup/

Bas is spot on. :thumbs_up Using a $1 bill as a thickness guage is a good way to go. If you decide to use a $100 bill, let me know and I will drive up from Liberty to help you. :rotflm:

Bill

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
One addition to Bas's comments, which are spot-on. Check the upper guides with the vertical position at both the highest and lowest positions. Here is what I do when changing blades:

- Install new blade and check it for square to the table
- Lower the upper blade guide to it's lowest position as if cutting 1/4" stock.
- Set the roller guides as described by Bas
- Raise the blade guide to it's highest position and re-check the blade is still square to the table.

My Grizzly manual says the side roller guides should just barely touch the blade, but you should still be able to spin them with your finger.

C.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Thanks for the input. I purchased the saw slightly used and did not have the manual. The former owner has located it and intends to place it in the mail.

Bill if you want to bring your special $100 bill, I will be glad to hold onto it and put it to good use.

I had everything tuned that way last night and turned on the saw but did not make any cuts. I just wanted to make sure everything survived the relocation with no issues. Everything in the move went smoothly but it was a little difficult moving the 500 lb saw up a ramp and through the door of my shop. My son used the table a couple of times for support and I wanted to ensure nothing was damaged. Fortunately everything survived well.

Hopefully, I can try it out tonight.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS