Hot Dog Style Compressor Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
There is an attached lean-to against the backside of my shop. It's not large enough to leave my hot dog style oil-less compressor horizontal. Would it hurt to turn it on end and set it up vertical?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've got a twin tank Thomas that I'll stand up like that all the time. Its an oil-less. I've noticed no ill effects. Maybe some makes differ.

jhreed

New User
james
the orientation only matters on oil lubricated compressors. the oil has to be able to get to the bearins. also, the crankcase is vented & if you turn it 90 degrees the oil will drain out.
James

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The tank drain could be an issue. IF you're good with copper fittings & ferrules you could insert a dip tube to the lowest point via the drain valve opening & then put a petcock or valve on the other end to get the water out of the tank. Otherwise, go for it. :thumbs_up

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Are the tanks on compressors normally thick enough to tap so I could add another peacock or would I have to weld a bung in order to get enough threads?

M

McRabbet

Why not put the compressor up on a shelf where the lean-to roof would be sufficient to keep it out of the weather and then you can maintain its design resting position?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Because the lean to is concrete block on three sides. I guess a more accurate term would be a block closet. I'd be left hanging one end of the compressor out of the roof line if I left it laying long ways.

DaveD

New User
Dave
You need the bung. Commercial 175 PSI tanks that I have cut open are about 1/4" thick. I'd be willing to bet the smaller (pressure wise) tanks are less. Personally I wouldn't weld on a pressure vessel (I know my welding limits). Too much room for potential disaster.

If you do decide to weld on it I'd at least do a home brew hydro test on it.

Know anyone with a sonic tester for determining wall thickness of pipe? You could use it to determine tank wall thickness.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The compressor tank will be too thin to tap, but that shouldn't stop you.

Rather than welding, I would suggest brazing a bung on. Because the brazing rod adhere's at a lower temp than welding, you have less risk of damage to the tank.

My second choice would be to TIG weld a bung on.

If you want to make a trip to the farm, we can work on it together.

Scott

Last edited:

Len

New User
Len
For what it's worth, I found this on another forum:

In most places in the US and Canada, it is not legal to repair a compressor tank yourself. It must be done by an authorized shop (Natn'l board "R" stamp holder, or equivalent). Non-commercial users can get away with it, but if there is a failure, your insurance probably won't cover any damage or injury.

Len

M

McRabbet

Because the lean to is concrete block on three sides. I guess a more accurate term would be a block closet. I'd be left hanging one end of the compressor out of the roof line if I left it laying long ways.
I still maintain that you should be able to put the compressor in this space without resorting to all of the suggestions made in this thread to modify the tank drain which are iffy at best. If you cannot put it on a shelf as I suggested, then build a weatherproof enclosure that has vents to allow air in and heat to dissipate while keeping the rain out as well. When in doubt, KISS!

Dudelive

New User
Dude
The tank drain could be an issue. IF you're good with copper fittings & ferrules you could insert a dip tube to the lowest point via the drain valve opening & then put a petcock or valve on the other end to get the water out of the tank. Otherwise, go for it. :thumbs_up

Great idea, If you will take this advice here you will not be changing anything at all other than adding a dip tube to where there is already a fitting. Then the stability of the weld and tank are not changed at all.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
So I actually got off of my lazy bum tonight and did some measuring, instead of relying on the measurements in my owners manual. I had let a buddy borrow it, so I just got it back recently.

If I remove the handle and set the compressor in diagonally it'll just fit.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and offers to help! I'm hoping to get it moved shortly because that thing is LOUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS