Home Depot no longer selling oil-based paints

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I went to HD today to pick up some paint for my daughter nightstand. They have the Disney color collection and I have always had good success with Behr paints. I wanted to use an oil enamel paint. In the past I have used latex paints on furniture and have always had blocking or sticking with the paint. So I decided I was going to suck it up and trade the ease of clean-up for a paint that wouldn't stick my drawers shut.
So I picked out the color my daughter wanted Disney Princess Cinderella Ballgown blue, which looks suspiciously like UNC blue, a fact that made me much more comfortable with the color choice :icon_thum.
I asked to have it mixed in a quart of semi-gloss oil-based enamel, and was told that they don't carry any oil-based paints anymore only water-based.

Well so much for the freedom of choice:no::no:
I don't know if this is par for the course at all BORGs or if you still can get oil-based paints at a real paint store:dontknow:
I was quite surprised that a time-tested, been around forever finish would just be gone. What's next oil-based varnishes and stains :eusa_thin

Dave:)

Dragon

New User
David
Well, you know how it is. That nasty oil-based stuff just ain't good fer the environment. People have a tendency to dump it in all sorts of places they shouldn't and just think about the carbon footprint from that junk. Best bet is to go out and find yerself some cute colored plants and boil them down in your solar powered cooker with rain water you caught in your hands and rub that stuff on the wood. Hope that wasn't too political for inclusion on here but it's the way of things nowadays.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Even in the automotive industry the trend is moving to "waterborne" paints versus solvent based. Most manufacturers are applying waterborne vs solvent based base coats. The clear coats for now are still solvent based. They have'nt perfected the waterborne clears yet.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dave,

Take a paint chip of the Disney Princess Cinderella Ballgown Blue down to your local Sherwin Williams store and have them mix you a quart of ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_..._products/products/proclassic-alkyd/index.jsp

I have used this stuff on vanity cabinets and face frames, medicine cabinets etc. with great success. It flows and levels extremely well and dries pretty quick. Most of all, I think it would really take a lot of punishment on a child's dresser.

I too use a lot of the Behr latex wall paint, but this stuff is tops as far as trim and woodwork etc..

Wayne

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
That's a shame - I often used oil-based exterior paint for outside items; nothing compares for durability.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I went to HD today to pick up some paint for my daughter nightstand. They have the Disney color collection and I have always had good success with Behr paints. I wanted to use an oil enamel paint. In the past I have used latex paints on furniture and have always had blocking or sticking with the paint. So I decided I was going to suck it up and trade the ease of clean-up for a paint that wouldn't stick my drawers shut.
So I picked out the color my daughter wanted Disney Princess Cinderella Ballgown blue, which looks suspiciously like UNC blue, a fact that made me much more comfortable with the color choice :icon_thum.
I asked to have it mixed in a quart of semi-gloss oil-based enamel, and was told that they don't carry any oil-based paints anymore only water-based.

Well so much for the freedom of choice:no::no:
I don't know if this is par for the course at all BORGs or if you still can get oil-based paints at a real paint store:dontknow:
I was quite surprised that a time-tested, been around forever finish would just be gone. What's next oil-based varnishes and stains :eusa_thin

Dave:)

I know your feeling when I asked for some mildewzide they don't do that anymore either.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Yea I saw the same thing when I was doing some handrails for my in-laws. I went around from the main paint section and rustoleum has furniture paint. I got a quart of that and it is not too bad. I think they have a light/med blue as well. But it is water based. [/FONT]

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
Thats why u go to "PAINT STORES" for paint, and you go to "LUMBER YARDS" for lumber, or Jack Murdocks sawn lumber in roleville!!!! lowes/homedepot are for the......! i'll keep it clean:rotflm:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Next thing you know, they'll be selling rubber screws so we won't hurt ourselves. Come ot think of it, they'll probably be as good as the screws they sell now.

Ernie

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Next thing you know, they'll be selling rubber screws so we won't hurt ourselves. Come ot think of it, they'll probably be as good as the screws they sell now.

Ernie

:rotflm: Yeah the quality of screws do leave alot to be desired.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rubber, well atleast what we call rubber is oil based so forget that. How about we use wooden screws? :dontknow:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Rubber, well atleast what we call rubber is oil based so forget that. How about we use wooden screws? :dontknow:

Scott - That won't work either - have you bought any wood at the BORG lately? :rotflm:

Ernie

Glennbear

Glenn
Dave,

Take a paint chip of the Disney Princess Cinderella Ballgown Blue down to your local Sherwin Williams store and have them mix you a quart of ProClassic Alkyd Interior Enamel.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_..._products/products/proclassic-alkyd/index.jsp

I have used this stuff on vanity cabinets and face frames, medicine cabinets etc. with great success. It flows and levels extremely well and dries pretty quick. Most of all, I think it would really take a lot of punishment on a child's dresser.

I too use a lot of the Behr latex wall paint, but this stuff is tops as far as trim and woodwork etc..

Wayne

It is nice to know the "real" paint stores still have alkyd paint available. Besides the enviornmental concerns I think the BORGs are giving it up because of the low sales volume. Susie and Sam Homeowner want latex and not nasty smelling alkyd. :wsmile:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
New water-based latex paints are fantastic, there is no comparison to those of even 10 years ago. Remember, we're just talking about the vehicle here, what's left after they dry is what really matters.

I specify latex for everything these days, including clear polyacrylic for flooring--no problems. VOCs are no longer acceptable in many kinds of buildings, including schools, healthcare, offices, research facilities, restaurants, or most other public facilities. With increased awareness of indoor air quality by the general public which extends to associated legal liability, expect for VOCs to disappear completely in the next 10 years. (Which is what we're already beginning to see in the marketplace.)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
VOCs are no longer acceptable in many kinds of buildings, including schools, healthcare, offices, research facilities, restaurants, or most other public facilities. With increased awareness of indoor air quality by the general public which extends to associated legal liability, expect for VOCs to disappear completely in the next 10 years. (Which is what we're already beginning to see in the marketplace.)

Freaking Crazy - :roll:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Why does a hospital not wanting VOCs translate into me not having oil paint for my outdoor adirondack chair? Water based paints can't compare for durability. Someone needs to start an advertising campaign which simply states, "live and let live".

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Why does a hospital not wanting VOCs translate into me not having oil paint for my outdoor adirondack chair? Water based paints can't compare for durability. Someone needs to start an advertising campaign which simply states, "live and let live".

No doubt, it is related to liability. If makers see a financial risk with their products, they will cease making them. Same goes for sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS