Hickory trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkZ

New User
Mark
Hi,

A month ago I posted about 2 downed hickory trees on my property. I was out of town and finally had Saw4You come out with his woodmizer and turn them into about 1000bf of lumber.

Thought you'all might be interested in some pictures...

Here's a (real short) cool video of the woodmizer doing its thing...

http://www.audua.com/zachmannfamily/Library/Sawyer.avi

(addendum, if you have trouble reading the avi file I've also uploaded in .wmv)

http://www.audua.com/zachmannfamily/Library/Sawyer.wmv

A photo of the final stack..

Wood_stack.jpg

A photo of half the logs stickered...

Wood_stack_2.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Feel free to Pony Express any cutoffs to Charlotte for grilling!!

I already have first dibs on his scrap pile to dig out some bow staves. :)

hickory_pile.jpg

I will be cutting staves to give to attendees at the steam bending and bowmaking session that Phil S and I are doing in early October. The optimum hickory staves are just below the cambium layer, so those bark slabs should have a few in them. The attendees are being asked to donate to North Carolina Woodworker. If I have extra staves (after stashing a few for myself :)) I may make them available for a small donation to the site. Google "hickory bow staves" and you will likely be astounded what people get for a 6' section of bark slab. Thanks Mark!

EDIT - Probably getting ahead of myself, but here is an example from the web:
bowstaves.jpg

The skinny part of the wedges is cut away when making the bow, so it doesn't matter that the bark slabs are not as thick. If I have extras, I will probably only ask a $10 or more site donation be made. I suspect I will, as I already have some hackberry logs stashed as well.

CarvedTones

Andy
Well, I went and visited Mark and this followed me home:

hickory_on_trailer.jpg

Which loks like a lot, but getting staves from bark slabs is a salvage operation. What I ended up with was this:

hickory_staves.jpg

There are 2 or 3 in that "board" on the end; it has bark on the underside. So about 20 staves. Many are smallish, but I only kept ones that I am pretty sure can become bows. I took the rest of it to the dump and had to plead my case to get them to take it. A tip for anyone else - orient the bark side up if you carry milling off cuts to the dump. If they see too much flat surface they think it is boards and Cary doesn't take construction debris.

Anyway, I got to see Mark's shop, a few projects and wood pile, all of which were quite impressive. And I came away with several good staves. Thanks again, Mark!

bluthart

New User
Brian
[QUOTE -I took the rest of it to the dump and had to plead my case to get them to take it. A tip for anyone else - orient the bark side up if you carry milling off cuts to the dump. If they see too much flat surface they think it is boards and Cary doesn't take construction debris.QUOTE]

YOU THREW THE CUTS OFFS AWAY!!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!:gar-Cr They would have been perfect for cooking! Feel free to bring any scraps to the Charlotte Shop Crawl though!:eusa_pray

CarvedTones

Andy
Mark has literally a ton more. I did keep some small pieces. A lot of what I tossed had thick bark and worms, not the highest quality for smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS