HF lathe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
What would be the advantages/disadvantages of taking the legs off of the lathe and building a bench to put a 12-36 lathe on

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
What would be the advantages/disadvantages of taking the legs off of the lathe and building a bench to put a 12-36 lathe on

For me, they would be:

1. Possibly more stable
2. Height just right for your tastes
3. Opportunity to build custom storage for tools / accessories
4. Built in facilities for dust/chip collection

Plus - you could use the stand to hold something else up :gar-La;

C.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Totally agree with what chris said~!

Plus the HF lathe legs stick out away from the lathe making you have to lean over more to get close to some turnings. This hurt my back quite a bit. When I got the Jet 16/42 there is nothing but room under the bed so I can get close to the bed/piece I am turning without bending over.

Would be a great upgrade in my opinion~!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Here is what I have done so far -
lathe10.jpg

View image in gallery

the only thing that I will be concerned about is if the nuts on the tailstock or the tool rest getting lose - any suggestions on what to put this on to raise it up so that I can get my hand under it - I raised the bench to 36" - it is to high for me but my son is 6'3" so it will be better for him - I will build me a riser to stand on

Glennbear

Glenn
For me, they would be:

1. Possibly more stable
2. Height just right for your tastes
3. Opportunity to build custom storage for tools / accessories
4. Built in facilities for dust/chip collection

Plus - you could use the stand to hold something else up :gar-La;

C.

I totally agree with Chris, especially on the height issue since I am 6' 2" tall and find most machines and benches too darn low. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors