Here's Pen Number 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

New User
Michael
I just finished my second pen in the shop and had a blast. This pen has a special meaning for me and here's why (short version):

We lost my Grandfather the day after Memorial Day. This piece of wood came from an old tobacco stick he used. I was originally going to use them as he did later in life, in the garden. But then I decided to give this a shot. Half the fun is experimenting right?

So, here is my second pen. It's not some exotic wood from a far off land and it doesn't have special figure that sets it apart. But it is special, and I think my mom will love it. I can't wait to tell her where the wood came from! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2257sm.jpg
    IMG_2257sm.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2238sm.jpg
    IMG_2238sm.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2245sm.jpg
    IMG_2245sm.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 152
J

jeff...

Michael that's a nice pen and has a lot of sentimental value, that's tree cycling if I every saw it.

When I had my mill out at the log yard, a man came up to and asked me if it was to early for tobacco sticks. Honestly I have no idea what a tobacco stick is, so I asked the man what is a tobacco stick and he said anything about this fat and this long. We'll I just so happened have have a bunch of edgings laying by the mill so I showed him and I said would these work? He said yep and scooped up as much as he could carry in his arms. Interesting What's a tobacco stick used for?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, that's a nice piece of Heart Pine, I bet it smelled great while turning. A pen with some significance is much nicer that one with fancy wood and no meaning. Your Mom is going to love it two fold, you made it and it's from wood with a connection to her Dad. You did a great job on that one :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I need to quit showing you guys all my tricks, you're gonna show me up really soon :oops:

Dave:)

MikeL

New User
Michael
Dave beat me to the explanation Jeff but he's exactly right. I grabbed a few to tie up some tall plants that needed support. These were originally used on his tobacco farm in Wake County but later served to hold up tomato plants. Now, I have a third use! I think I'm going to have to make a few more of these for aunts & uncles.

Thanks for the nice comments. And Dave, don't worry about a thing. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery! Thanks for your help.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Thats a beautiful pen.And a great tribute to your grandfather.I've got a wateroak that has to come down that my mom&dad planted.When we get it down I'm going to check with Kyle about working it up.Already got a couple things in mind.One is a slated chest kinda like a lobster trap.:eusa_danc

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Please excuse me for not offering my condolences in my first reply, it was still early and not enough coffee.
I am sorry for your loss.

MikeL

New User
Michael
Thanks everyone. I delivered the pen this morning. My mom loved it! They couldn't believe that something so eye catching could come from one of those "old dirty tobacco sticks". :-D Now my dad wants to give it a try. Another one hooked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS