Help me find a specific piece of hardware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hello all-
I'm working on getting this split top coffee table I've been working on for years finished, and realized I'm lacking one specific piece of hardware.

leafinstalled.jpg

As you can see, there is a piece of the top that can be removed. The object is to store that table piece under the bottom shelf. So the piece of hardware I'm looking for is a bracket that can be attached and hold the top...I can imagine one in my head, but can't seem to find it. The table is 3/4" oak, so it would need to be slightly longer than 3/4". I found some tiny ones for a different use, but see this link for a picture.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40146&cat=3,43586,43588&ap=1

Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about...and can they point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
I agree to a nice set of wooden brackets. Make them really nice and display them under the mail level rather under that bottom shelf!

Or go lazy and just make some brass Z bends.

Mike Mendelsohn

New User
Mike
I don't know if the dimensions would allow it but I would have designed the table so the leaf (rotated 90 deg) fit between the rails and was supported by cleats.

Mike

Mike Mendelsohn

New User
Mike
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to store the leaf just under the top of the table. I would have cleats on the top rails and the leaf would slide through the opening in the top onto the cleats. Closing the top would hide the leaf.

To do this, the leaf would have to be narrow enough to fit between the top rails, that's why I mentioned turning it 90 degrees.

Mike

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Gotcha.

I designed it with the leaf stored under the bottom shelf because the intention is to use the box for storage of magazines, games, etc. That's part of why the table opens.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Neither are the "rotate and store" mechanism you are looking for and both require the leaf be split in the middle, but I think you'll be able to tell by the diagrams how these two stowing mechanisms works. I think I saw an IKEA table with one of the mechanisms once. I think it would be simple and require almost no hardware to make the second one.

Table leaf stowage mechanism.

The simplest way might be to make table slides or buy them from Osborne or other supplier and make a shelf between/under them where you can manually stow the leaves sideways.

If you are just looking for the clips that mount under the top or dowel pins that mount in the edges to keep the leaves and top flush and tight you can find all types at Lee Valley and Rockler.

00s1006s1.jpg

00u1120s04.jpg

00s1101s2.jpg

00s1022s1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS