Hello from Black Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish Carver

New User
Mike
Hey to all in NCWW,

It's a bit esoteric but I've been a professional fish carver since 1999. Up until this last year I split my time in the summers as a fly fishing guide in Maine (I row an 18' Rogue River design mahogany drift boat that I built from a kit - Ray's River Dories, Portland Oregon).

Most of my wood working revolves around carving and painting fish (exterior weathervanes - my signature work, interior models/decorative carvings and trophies), but I do on occasion get to use my tools for other projects both work related or not. I had the good fortune growing with a dad who was quite skilled as a wood worker and who had a nice comprehensive shop. We lived in an old house that required years of restoration and maintenance work and I spent many hours working along side him or watching him work. It wasn't until after his passing and my inheritance of his shop/tools that discovered my vocation as a carver.

While I've developed unique skills from years of experience working my craft, my wood working knowledge in general can be quite spotty. I look forward to learning new skills from the group, and sharing my knowledge whenever I can.

Thanks,

Mike

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Welcome Mike to the forum from a former Ashevillian. We really like pictures. These could be pictures of your shop, tools, works in progress (WIP), as well as finished projects.

Each 2nd and 4th Thursday, we have a new member chat session at 8:00 pm. The next one is scheduled for Dec 13. I hope you will join us.

Steve H.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike! If you have any pics of your carvings, please post them...we would all love to see your work.

Donn

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to our humble sawdust pile, Mike!

Jump right in and enjoy the conversation. We do really like pictures.

Enjoy and stay around those sharp carving utensils! :)

Wayne

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little spot on the web Mike. Glad you found us and like others have said, we like pics.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Welcome Mike! I absolutely MUST see pic's of your fish!!:gar-Bi

You are in the company of some amazing carvers and other woodworking artist in the western part of the state. We look forward to your participation and again, PIC's!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the family Mike. We love pictures so please post some of your work (both woodworking and fishing)

Rob

New User
Rob
Black Mountain is one of my favorite places to visit in the mountains. Welcome to the board. A wealth of knowledge here.

Fish Carver

New User
Mike
Thank you all for the warm welcome and requests to see my work. It's always nice to share with like minded people the projects we've devoted so much time and energy to. If I've got it right, here's a sample of some recent projects.
P3031632.JPG

JohnW

New User
John
Dang Mike,

I'm a woodworking fisherman and will say...Your work is incredible. Welcome to NCWW. Glad you decided to join.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS