Having Fun with QS Sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,:gar-Bi

Just had some fun yesterday with some QS Sycamore that I got from The Great DaveO. :icon_cheers :eusa_danc

Thing is I am only half way done as I don't have a chuck or way to turn the bottom, I may ask Earl to use his Vacuum system...:eusa_thin :eusa_pray

Anyway here it is... 7 3/16" wide, Thanks DaveO:icon_thum

And here is the side kinda blurry

Thanks for looking,:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey that looks like a bowl, and you got a nice rim on it. Glad to see you having fun :icon_thum

Dave:)

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Nice job! For the back, may I suggest that if you have a face plate, attach a square board, flat on both sides, to the face plate. Turn the board/jig round but still larger in D than the bowl D. Then with a parting tool cut a groove in the jig that will accept the edge of the bowl. Mount the bowl blank in the groove, bring up your tail stock to hold the bowl and finish turning all that you can. Do final finish and take it off the lathe. With a sharp gouge or chisel remove the final bit and finish it. Old timers would make the groove so it would grip the edge of the bowl so they didn't have to bring up the tail stock, called a friction grip, I believe. I have had no luck with that however so I always use the tail stock.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks great Matthew! That stuff turns so well doesn't it? I would go the waste block route if you're chuckless. :icon_thum

Trent

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey that looks like a bowl, and you got a nice rim on it. Glad to see you having fun :icon_thum

Thanks Dave,

I love the rim, actually didn't mean to get it that thin at first... Was turning the middle out like crazy and thought while spinning I had 1/4" to go till the edge, turned off the lathe to take a look and noticed it was thinner on two sides a little thicker than it is now, I thought for sure I had wasted the bowl blank, But I am sure glad it turned out so well.

Thanks again, It's sooooo Fun! :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana: :notworthy:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Nice job! For the back, may I suggest that if you have a face plate, attach a square board, flat on both sides, to the face plate. Turn the board/jig round but still larger in D than the bowl D. Then with a parting tool cut a groove in the jig that will accept the edge of the bowl. Mount the bowl blank in the groove, bring up your tail stock to hold the bowl and finish turning all that you can. Do final finish and take it off the lathe. With a sharp gouge or chisel remove the final bit and finish it. Old timers would make the groove so it would grip the edge of the bowl so they didn't have to bring up the tail stock, called a friction grip, I believe. I have had no luck with that however so I always use the tail stock.

Thanks Steve,

At first I was confused at what you wrote the other day, so I read again today and it makes sense. Just kinda wanted to have the bowl about the same thickness all around, well actually maybe the bottom a little thicker to give it weight??? :eusa_thin

But I do like your idea, and I have plenty of MDF to make that jig as that's what I did for this bowl, took some MDF screwed it to the HF face plate and turned it round... I thought that it would splinter/crack, but it worked great. Just don't know how that friction Grip will work without the tail stock holding it. I have already got hit in the face from a piece of Walnut from making a honey stick:BangHead: whew that hurt, Went a bought a Face sheild the next day. :widea:

Thanks for the ideas, Now to find pictures...

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Looks great Matthew! That stuff turns so well doesn't it? I would go the waste block route if you're chuckless. :icon_thum

Trent

It sure does.... :icon_cheers :gar-Bi
The Waste block route??? I am not familiar with that, mind enlightening a new Jedi?:icon_scra

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

So What other designs do people make with there bowl blanks, I mean mine so far are just curved in the inside and curved on the outside, and just a bowl?:icon_scra Hum I guess that's confusing.

Has Anybody made one like this, when the blank is only 3" thick?:icon_thum

Sincerely,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So What other designs do people make with there bowl blanks, I mean mine so far are just curved in the inside and curved on the outside, and just a bowl?:icon_scra Hum I guess that's confusing.

Has Anybody made one like this, when the blank is only 3" thick?:icon_thum

Sincerely,

Not that overly creative but your rim doesn't have to be a single plane. Add something that will make it easier to hold -

New_ShopFox_lathe_010.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Not that overly creative but your rim doesn't have to be a single plane. Add something that will make it easier to hold -

Thats a Great Idea Dave, I never thought about having a rim to hhold onto it better, like it!:notworthy:.

I am sure I will get better as time goes on and I have all the tools to help me along the way.... Did someone just say :tool:, Can't wait to get another, or accessory.:eusa_thin

Sincerely,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS