Have 100 year old logs......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Hi,
I am new to this sight and I love wood. However, I have acquired 6 sections of logs that are 6 feet to 12 feet long and from 30 inches to 40 inches across and is about 120 years old. This tree was an oak tree that had to be removed and I acquired it, more like saved it.
So, I want to see if anyone would like to buy some of this wood to use on projects.
I can be contacted by email.... rovertcv8@yahoo.com
I would love to see some of this to go to a great shop or 2.
I can take pictures of them if anyone is interested.
Let me know.
Cheers
David Sheuring
Lillington, NC

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome aboard David. I'm sure someone here will want the wood. If you would please take a minute and go to the Who We Are forum and introduce yourself. It is great to have you.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you saying it has been 100 years since the tree was cut?

Or the tree had grown 100 years before it was cut?

When was it cut and were the ends treated to slow the drying process?

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Ok.....the tree was cut 3 days ago....and I believe that the tree is around 100 to 110 years old. From what the timber man stated, he counted the rings and came with as close to the age as possible. I can send pictures of the logs if you will give me your email.
Hope that helps
David

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Probably make good fire wood for somebody close by. Gas is too much to haul it very far.

Most yard trees are not fit to mill into lumber.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
This was not a yard tree but one of the original oaks from Campbell University that was removed. This tree had been cared for and serviced by a tree service company for yeras. It is an awesome tree log and there are several pieces available and can cut for smaller pieces.
David

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Go to my gallery and have a look at the logs.
I really hope I did that right.....let me know what yall think.
David Sheuring

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Ok...I did it...well maybe
showphoto.php

J

jeff...

You say that is not a yard tree, so chance of tramp metal is low? What a great rescue - my hats off to you.

I would love to bust into some of that willow oak with my chainsaw and get some nice fat quarters out of the logs, then make some 8/4 QS lumber from the quarters on my saw mill. Unfortunately I am too far away from you for it to make any economical sense (darn gas prices). From the map, I'm a good 2 1/2 ~ 3 hours away. Something that big deserves a little extra time and effort to quarter saw right and not some funky modified sawing pattern just because the logs are oversized. Just do me a favor and don't let anyone talk you into flat sawing those logs or hacking them up with some modified sawing pattern. From the looks of it, they will make some fantastic quarter sawn lumber, Quarter Sawn oak is highly desirable.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction.

Thanks

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would advise you to invest in some end grain sealer and coat the cut ends to prevent splitting. Oak will lose a lot of moisture out of the end grain quickly, resulting in splitting, especially in these summer temps.

Go

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
You say that is not a yard tree, so chance of tramp metal is low? What a great rescue - my hats off to you.

I would love to bust into some of that willow oak with my chainsaw and get some nice fat quarters out of the logs, then make some 8/4 QS lumber from the quarters on my saw mill. Unfortunately I am too far away from you for it to make any economical sense (darn gas prices). From the map, I'm a good 2 1/2 ~ 3 hours away. Something that big deserves a little extra time and effort to quarter saw right and not some funky modified sawing pattern just because the logs are oversized. Just do me a favor and don't let anyone talk you into flat sawing those logs or hacking them up with some modified sawing pattern. From the looks of it, they will make some fantastic quarter sawn lumber, Quarter Sawn oak is highly desirable.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction.

Thanks
Ok....tell me where to go to find someone that would be interested in these logs. Also, tell me where to get the sealer and some names of the products.
Cannot wait to hear from you as we looked up QuarterSawn logs...and WOW.....you are so right about them. What fantastic floors or furniture it would make.
Cheers
David Sheuring:icon_chee

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anchorseal is a great log end sealer. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...-Green-Wood-and-End-Grain-Sealer--Gallon.HTML It can be found online or at Woodcraft. I would check with the folks at Wood-Mizer http://www.woodmizer.com/us/index.aspx as they have a listing of folks with their mills in your area that could provide the service. If you could haul the logs Scott Smith in New Hill http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/members/scsmith42/ might be able to mill them for you. He has a swing mill which is perfect for QS large logs, and he is great at what he does.

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
... Also, tell me where to get the sealer and some names of the products. ...

I use SealTite end grain sealer that I buy at Klingspor's (aka The Woodworking Store) and have had good luck with it. It looks like thick milk when you put it on but dries clear. The most common one named here is Anchorseal, but I do not know where you can buy it. (Oops, DaveO beat me to it).

Go

J

jeff...

There is only one true way to quarter saw a log but lots of modified saw patterns. I like to use the phrase traditional quartering but there are so many variations out there that it's all confused now. The old timers knew what they were doing that's for sure. To Quarter Saw - first, cut a log into quarters. Each quarter is then milled by cutting a single board off of one face, then cutting the next board from the opposite face, and cutting from alternating faces until the quarter is completely cut. Despite what some may tell you it's easy to do on a modern band mill a lot easier than 3rd'ing which is how most people with band mills claim to quarter saw. Sorry it's not quarter sawing it's 3rd sawing... A Swing mill is ideal for quarter sawing - Scott Smith near you at New Hill has a nice one - you might want to contact him.

Ancorseal is the best and cheapest end grain sealer - you can order it directly from the manufacturer a lot cheaper than buying it retail.

https://www.uccoatings.com/

Thanks

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Ok...will seal the logs as soon as that gets in...I promise!!!!

Now, who can we contact that would love to cut or use these logs.:gar-Bi

Cheers
David Sheuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS