Has anyone ever made this

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I have been thinking about making this for my MIL for Christmas and I am not sure if I can do it:nah:

Last edited:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Re: Has anyone ever turned this

Phil I had been thinking about using those blanks on a couple of projects for Christmas as well..

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Looks like a job for Earl! Paging Dr. Rasmussen.......

I don't want to make it out of segmented wood - that is the only pix they had - I was just wondering how hard it is to turn - It has to be bored all the way through and turned between centers with jam chucks on both ends :nah: I might not be making it this year for a gift - maybe when I get more experience

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I think you can do it ive seen ur stuff. ReaL good work you do.

That looks like it was turned from one of Penn state's glued up blanks
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WXML083.html
Why couldnt you turn it first then bore it out on the lathe?

Thanks Mark:embaresse but I might need to get a little bit more experience before I tackle this one

Earl - it is from PSI - I just want the grinder - not the blank - Would you be able to bore it all of the way through true on the lathe - and the grinder still be in center :icon_scra

02blues

New User
john
I say go for it...when your done you will have a few new tricks and an awesome gift. I rarely tackle a project I already understand...b/c I don't know too much I guess. But thats the fun it I think.

When I made my double helix candle sticks
the_twist_in_progress1.jpg

View image in gallery

I had to drill the center out first and then turned and carved the "hollow tube". I used a mandrel. Although only a spring pole lathe it worked "well enough".

Is that a pepper mill? I want to make one of those old time hand crank coffee grinders.

Good luck!

John / 02blues.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
A little off topic but if you need fostner bits for the project try this at Hartville.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12323
I needed a 1 1/8 for a Beal tap. At $1.95 (1 1/8 ) to $3.95 (2 1/8 ) per bit I bought a bunch of different sizes. A lot better than $10+ each. They appear to be good quality and the one I have used so far was fine.
Mike

PChristy

New User
Phillip
A little off topic but if you need fostner bits for the project try this at Hartville.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12323
I needed a 1 1/8 for a Beal tap. At $1.95 (1 1/8 ) to $3.95 (2 1/8 ) per bit I bought a bunch of different sizes. A lot better than $10+ each. They appear to be good quality and the one I have used so far was fine.
Mike

Thanks for the link Mike - I noticed that all of them are on clearance - They are "Tin" coated:icon_scra never heard of that one before

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Pepper mills

are not hard. Go for it. Practice on a couple of blanks. It is not like pens where you lose the copper tubes if you mess up.

I've made a few. The key is the length of the internal mechanisms, which dictates the length the blank needs to be. There are several ways to make this. Most mills have a turned top, but this one is simpler with the mechanism as the top.

Since they are only recommending to buy one 1" forstner bit, I would suspect that the directions will require cutting the larger bottom opening for the bottom retainer for the grinding mechanism. The way I would make it, as I have made many others, is to chuck the wood piece and make it round. Then put in the Nova chuck, drill the 1" hole half way through, turn the piece around and drill the remaining half. Sometimes when I am concerned with perfect alignment during drilling, I will drill a 1/8" hole through the initial block first, which seems to help guide the point of the forstner bit through the piece. Then with the Nova chuck on one end and jam chuck on the other, finish the outside, making sure the jam is the bottom end. Ensuring the Nova chuck has a good grip, carefully cut the groove for the bottom retainer. At the end, I flip the piece to finish the end that was in the chuck.

Actually, the first time you do this it will take some time, but I find that it just gets easier and easier to turn these things out.

I usually make pens, but I do find that this larger object requires a more substantial finish, so I still apply a shellac base, let it dry overnight, and then apply two coats of spray poly, letting them dry very hard between coats.

Woodcraft has some good directions and drawingsfor their mills. Parts will apply to your mill, but it will also give you some ideas. http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B35.pdf Craft Supplies USA also has some fair directions and drawings: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/pdfs/deluxe_peppermill.pdf

Good luck.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Guy - I am running out of time and I will see what I can do with this - It might be after Christmas - like next Spring before I get to this - I will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS