Harpsichord Project Part 8 - The Case is Finished at Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

In Part 7 we installed the Belly Rails, Lower Braces, and some case moldings and runners. Now we will install the Upper Braces, pinblock support bracket, and construct and temporarily install the pinblock. This will conclude the construction of the case. Let’s get started!

The Upper Braces are all glued to the bentside and serve to dissipate the pulling force of the strings on this case member. They are made out of 2 pieces of ¾” poplar stock that are face glued to form a 1 ½” thick brace. The first photo shows the 5 Upper Braces which have already been fit properly in the case.

UBRACE1.JPG

The next photo shows the first brace being glued into the case. At the front end it is clamped with screws going through the Belly Rail. On the bentside end it is clamped with screws from the outside of the case. It is also glued to the underside of the bentside soundboard liner and is clamped to it while the glue sets.

UBRACE2.JPG

The next photo shows the first two braces being installed.

UBRACE3.JPG

The remaining Upper Braces are similarly glued in. The next photo shows all of the braces that have been installed.

UBRACE4.JPG

Although the case is now amazingly strong there are two more things we can do to make it even stronger. First, we install an Upper Belly Rail stiffener. This strip of wood is ¾” thick and 1 ½” wide and stiffens up the Upper Belly rail. It is glued to the Upper Belly Rail and to the top surface of the 2 Upper Braces that contact it.

UBRACE5.JPG

Secondly, we install small braces on the bentside end of the Upper Braces. These small braces bear against the bentside liner and further help it to resist pulling forward under the tension of the strings. We’ll just tack them in place with a few brads while the glue sets. The next photo shows these small braces.

UBRACE6.JPG

All that remains to do now is to install the pinblock. The pinblock is a thick slab ( 1 ½” ) of red oak that the tuning pins will be driven into when we string the instrument. In order to install it at the correct height (its top surface must also be level with the top of the Upper Belly Rail) we will make and install 2 pinblock support brackets. The following photo shows these 2 brackets which are also made of red oak.

UBRACE7.JPG

These brackets will be glued and screwed into the spine and cheek sides. The pinblock will be glued and screwed into these brackets. The next photo shows this installation.

UBRACE8.JPG

Next we’ll take two pieces of ¾” thick red oak and face glue them together to make our pinblock. The plank is oversized in length and width at this point. A couple of brads are shot into each end to keep the two pieces more or less aligned while the clamps are applied. After the glue sets, the blank is jointed and cut to its proper width and length.

UBRACE9.JPG

The next photo shows the pinblock in its position in the case. Notice the gap between the pinblock and the Upper Belly Rail. For some reason unknown to me, this gap is called the “Gap” (clever folks these harpsichord people are). Directly below the gap will lie the rear end of the keyboard and the jacks will come up through the gap to pluck the strings.

UBRACE10.JPG

The pinblock is screwed into the pinblock brackets at both ends. These screws will not be removed. They are the only screws in a harpsichord that have a function other than clamping. The strings create such a strong pull on the tuning pins that it’s possible for a pinblock to be lifted up off of the pinblock brackets thereby making tuning impossible.
At this point no glue has been used because the pinblock will have to be removed to drill the holes for the tuning pins. The screws have been recessed because the entire pinblock will be covered with 1/8” thick spruce to match the soundboard. Eventually the pinblock brackets and pinblock will be re-installed with glue.

UBRACE11.JPG

All that remains to do is to remove the 43 screws (yea, I counted them) we used for clamping and plug them with poplar plugs. Wood putty or Bondo will eventually show through the finish so I prefer plugs whenever possible.

UBRACE12.JPG

That’s about it for the case. The next photo shows the harpsichord on its spine to show the entire inside.

UBRACE13.JPG

And finally, the instrument as it is now.

UBRACE14.JPG

I need a change of pace so I think we’ll tackle the registers next. Get your scrollsaw ready.

See you then,
Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Benchhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f101/harpsichord-project-part-12-music-desk-18962/

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Out of all of this pictures, I haven't seen your bed yet! Getting as much done as quickly has you have you must be sleeping in your shop! Nice Work!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one here that finds this whole thing fascinating. I must ask, however, what does this instrument now weigh, and what is its anticipated completed weight?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Phillip,

Thanks. Here's a picture of my bed. It also doubles as my shop stool.

Ernie

bed8.JPG

Dennis

This is only a guess - I think it weighs about 40 lbs. now. The only relatively heavy items to add are the lid and the stand. I'd guess the final instrument would weigh somewhere around 75 lbs. Of course this depends on the time of day. It certainly feels heavier at night than it does in the morning.

Ernie

goodmund

New User
goodmund
This is an amazing project! Thank you so much for taking the time to document the process. It's really fascinating.

May I ask where and to whom you sell these works of art and the price range? Have you ever broken down the price to figure out your labor, per hour? I hope you're getting a lot, because craftsmanship like this is priceless!

Keep up the good work!

skeeter

New User
Charles
Like many others have said, I am really enjoying the progress of this project. Thanks for taking the time to photo the steps as they progress. I'm sure experience plays a big part, but I'm surprised and how fast everything is coming along.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
This is an amazing project! Thank you so much for taking the time to document the process. It's really fascinating.

May I ask where and to whom you sell these works of art and the price range? Have you ever broken down the price to figure out your labor, per hour? I hope you're getting a lot, because craftsmanship like this is priceless!

Keep up the good work!

Goodmund,

A small harpsichord, like the one we're building in the Harpsichord Project, would sell for around $12,000. A large one, with two keyboards and all the bells and whistles, would double that. These instruments are sold mainly to professionals, serious amateurs, colleges, churches, and interior decorators.
Most of my instruments are sold through the Harpsichord Clearing House
(http://www.harpsichord.com) near Boston. Some are commissioned instruments. I prefer selling through the Harpsichord Clearing House because it allows me to build what I want to build. The older I get the less I want to spend time building instruments that don't interest me.

I've never really broken it down to $ per hour. However, I work about 50 hours a week. Assuming it takes 5 months to build this current instrument, it would break down to $12 an hour. No danger of getting into the upper income bracket any time soon!

Ernie

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Again I am amazed at this project. I would love to try it someday. Like many others have said I feel like I might actually could do it.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Kevin,

I'm glad you feel that way. It makes me think that my descriptions are fairly clear. As I've said before, the actual woodworking (at least to this point) is not difficult. The difficult part is understanding how important the details are. In the next Part of this series we'll be making registers. I'll describe them in detail in Part 9. For now, let me say that we'll be working with tolerances measured in thousandths of an inch - in wood. When I built my first instrument, I was off by only a few thousandths of an inch and the instrument didn't work (at least not reliably). I hope you'll stay with me and let me know how Part 9 strikes you.

Ernie

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ernie, thanks for stopping by yesterday to help with PS! Now I'm going to have to buy a newer, better, digital SLR!!!

Back on topic- I forgot to ask- since you are going to plug the screw holes anyway, why do you bother removing he screw?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Alan,

Thanks for your hospitality and wonderful tour of your shop. My head's still spinning thinking about the clever solutions you've come up with to make your shop more efficient. Congrats on a great work in progress.

As for why I don't leave the screws in and plug over them. The only reason I remove them (most of them, at least) is that the case sides are only 1/2" thick and some of screws are only recessed 1/16" of an inch - not enough to hold a plug reliably. I'd have to remove the screws to make the holes deeper anyway so I leave them out and plug the holes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS