Harpsichord Project Part 10 - The Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

It’s time to build the harpsichord’s stand so I can get it off my assembly table. Since this is a rather small instrument, we’ll build a simple, 4 leg trestle stand for it. This type of stand can be taken apart quite easily and increases the portability of the instrument. Since this harpsichord will be painted, and the stand has only 4 legs, we’ll glue up some poplar for the leg blanks. Last year I built an instrument that had 14 legs (counting the bench). For this instrument I got some nice 12/4 poplar from Roger at East Wake Hardwoods. Here’s what the finished instrument looked like.

STAND11.JPG

Here are the 4 leg blanks which have been glued up and milled to 3” square and cut to 22 7/8” in length.

STAND24.JPG

Next, the blanks are put on the lathe and turned into leg-like objects.

STAND33.JPG

While we’re at the lathe we can turn the four feet that will be glued onto the bottom of each leg. Here’s a photo of the four feet being formed on the lathe.

STAND3A.JPG

These are the finished legs (minus the feet) – rough sanded to 80 grit.

STAND4.JPG

Next, we flip the harpsichord upside down and place the legs into their proper positions. Once there, we draw the plan for the stretchers directly onto the harpsichord bottom.

STAND5.JPG

The next photo is a close-up of the rear legs and the drawn stretcher plan. We’ll take the dimensions and angles directly from this plan.

STAND6.JPG

Next, we cut tenons onto the ends of the front and rear stretchers and mortises into the square sections at the top and bottom of each leg. Here is a mortise being cut on the dedicated mortiser.

STAND7.JPG

Next, we prepare the upper and lower main stretchers, getting the dimensions and angles from the plan drawn on the Bottom. The stretchers are made from ¾” stock, 1 ½” in height. The top and bottom main stretchers have a piece of 5/6” threaded steel rod epoxied into their ends. This rod will pass through a hole in the front and rear stretchers and will connect the front and rear leg assemblies. The next photo shows all of the legs and stretchers.

STAND8.JPG

We will add caps to the tops and bottoms of all stretchers in order to stiffen them. In addition to their decorative function, the caps also help the stretchers to resist warping. The caps are 1 ¼” wide and ¼” thick with a ¾” wide dado 1/8” deep routed into their bottom surfaces. The stretchers which are ¾” thick will slip into these dados. Here’s a photo of the caps.

STAND9.JPG

Next step is to glue the caps onto the stretchers. The next photo shows caps being glued onto the tops of the upper and lower main stretchers.

STAND10.JPG

The next photo shows the completed stand (minus the feet) sitting on top of the case bottom.

STAND111.JPG

The knobs used to secure the bolts are simple wooden cabinet knobs I bought at the local borg. I drilled out the hole and epoxied a 5/16” brass insert into it to secure the bolts. The next photo shows the knob screwed down onto the bolt. Above is an extra knob showing the brass insert.

STAND12.JPG

Now we have to secure the harpsichord body to the stand. We will accomplish this by gluing a dowel into the top surface of each of the four legs. Matching (I hope) holes will be drilled into the case bottom. The instrument is placed in position on the stand and the dowels slip into their holes in the case bottom. No mechanical fasteners are necessary. All we have to do is make certain that the holes and dowels line up. First step is to place the stand in position (upside down, of course) onto the case Bottom and retrace the top of each leg onto the Bottom. Of course, we already did that when we drew the stretcher plan onto the case Bottom but the plan and the execution are never quite the same. The holes for the stretcher bolts have to be drilled at 90 degrees to the front and rear stretchers but the stretchers themselves angle at 78 degrees. I’ve never found a good way to do this and rely on my eyes to hit the angle correctly. This time I got lucky and hit the angle correctly but the stretchers ended up about 1/8” short for some reason. Not a problem as the distance between the front and rear leg assemblies is not crucial. The next photo shows the redrawn position of a rear leg with a cross mark to show the middle of the square.

STAND13.JPG

Next a small hole is drilled all the way thru the Bottom so it can be seen from the top when the harpsichord is turned upright. I use blue painters tape to outline each drawn square to make it easier to check if the legs are in their proper position. The case is flipped right-side up and placed in position on the stand. The case is moved on the stand until the legs are all centered between the tape indicators.

STAND14.JPG

Then, using the four holes we already drilled as guides we drill from the inside of the case through those holes into the top of each leg. Now we have a drilled center mark on the top of each leg and a corresponding hole in the Bottom of the case. We then drill a 1” diameter hole in each leg top and a corresponding set of 1” holes in the case Bottom. The following photo shows two of these holes in the rear of the case Bottom.

STAND15.JPG

And the two corresponding holes in the top of the rear legs.

STAND16.JPG

Next, we separate the four feet that we turned earlier and drill a hole for a dowel in the center of each foot top. Here’s the four feet with the dowels installed.

STAND17.JPG

Now that we know everything will fit properly, we disassemble the stand, apply glue to the mortises and tenons in the front and rear leg assemblies, clamp and allow to dry. Here’s the rear leg assembly glued up and clamped.

STAND18.JPG

Now we can reassemble the stand and place the instrument on it. If the various glue-ups dried without moving, the dowels in the leg tops should fit perfectly into the holes in the case Bottom. Here’s a photo of those dowels at the rear of the case. Pretty good fit.

STAND19.JPG

And, finally, here’s the harpsichord sitting on its stand.

STAND20.JPG

And that’s it – all you ever wanted to know (and more, I’m sure) about building a basic harpsichord stand. I’m still waiting for a delivery of Sitka Spruce for the soundboard so next time we’ll tackle the case moldings.

We're now one month into this project and I've submitted 10 parts (out of 450 - just kidding, I hope). In case anyone would like to refer back to a previous part, I will include links to the various part of the project at the end of each post.

Thanks for staying with me and I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Benchhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f101/harpsichord-project-part-12-music-desk-18962/

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Man Ernie.... This project is some labor of love. It is great watching it grow through your tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

T

toolferone

Looking good. I see where the removable stretcher bolts pass throught the fixed stretcher to be fastened with the knob. There is a metal insert glued in the fixed stretcher. Why is the metal "washer" there?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Looking good. I see where the removable stretcher bolts pass throught the fixed stretcher to be fastened with the knob. There is a metal insert glued in the fixed stretcher. Why is the metal "washer" there?

I'm sorry. I don't think my description was clear enough. There is no brass insert glued into the front or back stretcher - just a hole. The stretcher bolt is passed through the hole in the stretcher and snugged tight by tightening the knob. The washer is there to protect the wood surrounding the hole from damage. The only brass inserts used are in the knobs.

Thanks Kevin and Scott. Seeing the instrument come together still gives me a charge - even after all these years of building.

Ernie

T

toolferone

Ernie, I did not think it was an insert. I just didn't know what to call it. Using it as wood protector is what I thought it was. It would help the area from repeated disassembly/reassembly I guess, but how often are these really moved around?

As always I am really enjoying the wip pics and discriptions, keep it going.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks, Ernie :icon_thum
The Harpsichord Project is an amazing display of every aspect of woodworking: planning, precision, attention to a zillion details, joinery, turning, finishing, using every woodworking tool in the shop, and on and on. A true adventure in woodworking and the finished product is piece of art that will continue creating art for a long time. Wow :eusa_clap

Appreciatively,
Roger

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It would help the area from repeated disassembly/reassembly I guess, but how often are these really moved around?
It depends who the purchaser is. Professional harpsichordists often transport their private instruments to their concerts. Pianists used to do this too, but the cost of piano moving now makes this financially impossible. Pianos, however, are much more uniform, instrument to instrument, than harpsichords are. That, coupled with the unfortunate fact that so many harpsichords in the field are not in good playing condition, makes harpsichordists want to use their own instruments. The instrument we're building in this Harpsichord Project is an ideal candidate for a portable instrument because of its small size and weight. It's possible that this instrument might be assembled and dis-assembled several times a week.

Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
The Harpsichord Project is an amazing display of every aspect of woodworking: planning, precision, attention to a zillion details, joinery, turning, finishing, using every woodworking tool in the shop, and on and on. A true adventure in woodworking and the finished product is piece of art that will continue creating art for a long time. Wow :eusa_clap
Roger,

It's fun to build too. As to its being a "piece of art", it might be. Then again, it might be some mighty expensive firewood. Time will tell ...... we'll see. At any rate, I appreciate your kind words.

Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'll second Roger's comments. There are so many techniques and tools involved here (right down to the HF bar clamps!), it's amazing seeing it all come together. This is truly magnificent work.

And thanks for including the links to the other posts, it makes it real easy to refer to the other stages and re-read the details.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Bas,

The idea to add links to other parts of this project was yours.

Suggestion for anyone contributing to this forum - when you create post #2, go back and edit post #1, and put a link in. That makes it easy for people to follow the story.
My thought was to go back to the beginning and update each post with the new links but most of these Parts are closed and I can't edit them. Is there any way to do this?

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ernie, I can re-open those older segments so you can go back and add the links you want.
Dave:)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Dave

That would be great. I just sent you a PM (before I saw this post) about a future problem with updating links on closed files.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS