Hardwood Floor Inlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
I completed this a few months ago. Since I am working on doing better photos I figured I would post some up. We are going to be installing hardwood floors in a few months so hopefully this will fit in to the plans. For now, it hangs on the wall. It is made from Mahogany, Black Walnut, Maple, and Cherry. They are 3/16" thick mounted on 9/16" baltic birch ply. 3 coats of tung oil then 3 coats of wipe-on poly and several coats of paste wax finished it.
Compass_Inlay.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
That is lovely! What kind of adhesive did you use to attach it to the backer? Was it difficult to get it assembled without the adhesive drying or holding a piece you wanted to move too firmly? Did you cut the pieces with a scroll saw? Did you stack cut any?

jglord

New User
John
Beautiful work :eusa_clap

I too am interested in how you did the cutting, particularly the inlaid letters.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!!!

I'm impressed with the grain selection for the piece. Everything runs in the right direction. Very nice work. The visual impact is incredible.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Outstanding, beautiful, wonderful use of grain, and great picture :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
You really did a nice job on that. What is the diameter if the rose? As others have asked, please give some details on the project!

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
The overall diameter is 36" and I used Titebond III for the glueup. I wish I had a vacuum bag for the final glueup, but with planning and many cauls and clamps I was able to get it together. There was a very little bit of movement that required the use of some dark wood filler. In retrospect, I would have used a slower setting glue, then waited for a while after applying , then attached the pieces to prevent movement. All of the pieces including the lettering were cut with a 50 watt laser that I had access to some time ago. While the laser does a great job for things like lettering, it leaves a lot to be desired in the woodworking satisfaction department. It is just another power tool, albeit a fairly sophisticated one. Would I be regressing if I were to go from a computer controlled laser, to power tools, to hand tools? I think not. These days I find myself leaning towards "old school."

BTW, if anyone wants more info on the use of lasers in woodworking I can fill you in on what I have learned

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Jim, that look great. I just started a table thats top will be very simular. I found the design in an advertisement for Montecello Furniture and I couldn't decide on the types of wood to use. I hope you don't mind me using your selection. Again great work.

Rocker

New User
John
Jim,
I am interested in learning about the use of lasers in woodworking, especially for inlay work. I would appreciate anything you could share.
Rocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS