Hardware/Small Tool/Bits organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
What do you all use to organize hardware and small tools / bits?

I've got a couple of small multi-pullout drawer units I use fro my misc. variety of screws/nails, etc. But I'm at a loss on what to do for small bits (screw and drill), and other small tools and misc. items. Also, how to ya'll store your sandpaper, saw blades, and paperwork (think manuals for tools)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
What do you all use to organize hardware and small tools / bits?

I've got a couple of small multi-pullout drawer units I use fro my misc. variety of screws/nails, etc. But I'm at a loss on what to do for small bits (screw and drill), and other small tools and misc. items. Also, how to ya'll store your sandpaper, saw blades, and paperwork (think manuals for tools)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sheet Sandpaper goes in an Accordian file.

Paperwork goes in 3 ring binder with clear plastic sleeves

For storage of screws and nails I cut the top off of the oil bottles and build a box to hold them.
You can make them stacking and you mix and match the contents.

Re: bits etc I was thinking about shallow drawers lined with a magnetic sheet. Not really sure about that. I try and build stand/workstations with drawers to keep all related tooling in one place.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, you asked about several different things, so I'll try to give you one quick shot of what I've done. Then if you're interested, there are more pics in my gallery.

Drill bit storage.

IMG_17312.JPG

View image in gallery

Small parts / hardware storage. What a mess. This is the next area I tackle.

Saw blade storage.

Sand paper storage.

Manuals go in a small 2 drawer file cabinet in an out-of-the-way spot. It's surprising how often I refer to them.

Bill

pviser

New User
paul
I really love those plastic boxes with compartments, a hinged latching lid, and a handle. I categorize such as stainless steel fasteners, small screws, large screws, nuts and bolts. I buy one from Lowe's whenever I have enough of a certain category to occupy 6 or 8 of the compartments. They are cheap, portable, and fully accessible after pulling open the lid.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I really love those plastic boxes with compartments, a hinged latching lid, and a handle. I categorize such as stainless steel fasteners, small screws, large screws, nuts and bolts. I buy one from Lowe's whenever I have enough of a certain category to occupy 6 or 8 of the compartments. They are cheap, portable, and fully accessible after pulling open the lid.

That's what I use for wood screws and small bolts. I believe mine are Stanley brand. Clear lids and plenty of compartments. Love the "portability!" I just grab one when I'm building chairs or swings or whatever! :wsmile:

Len

New User
Len
I got a set of these drill bit boxes http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/19638/ for my inch, number, letter, and metric drill bits. I got three of the 29 bit boxes, one for twist drills, one for brad points, and one for masonary bits. The Forstner bits go in the wooden box they came in, and I made my own stand for the bits I have that are over 1/2in in diameter. I drilled holes in a 1/2in x 3/4in strip of maple to hold my spade bits. It hangs near the drill press.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS