Hard finish for cypress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad madam MIM

New User
Marilyn
So I've decided to build some new cabinetry for our boat and think that cypress would be good material because of it's outdoor wearing abilities. The boat is a mid size coastal cruiser and is subject to heat, cold, nearly constant high humidity, and the occasional splash, unnoticed leak, and even occasional standing water. In other words, like if it was sitting on an open porch.
Cypress is pretty and thus I'd rather not paint it, but the same cypressene that makes it a good choice for a marine application also makes it feel slightly greasy, and I wonder if it will shed urethane varnish like teak does.
Any suggestions?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I used spar varnish on outdoor cypress slats and it seemed to hold up well for a while. I did get crack and peel after a few years, but that was my fault for not keeping it up. I also used cypress in an indoor segmented stained piece and finished with lacquer and that looks fine after several years.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Is it cypress that weathers to a nice silvery appearance if you don't put any finish on it? Or am I thinking of another wood? Is that an option?

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Is it cypress that weathers to a nice silvery appearance if you don't put any finish on it? Or am I thinking of another wood? Is that an option?

Bill

Silver? Maybe in really bright light if you squint just right. :rolf:
It is more of a gray, but if it is burnished or at least really smooth it can look good unfinished.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Marilyn!

You might consider Juniper. Our Member Ivey is a fantastic resource for coastal lumber so check him out.

We would like to know more about you and your projects so please introduce yourself in the Who We Are Forum:wink_smil

Good luck and keep us posted on your new cabinets.

Barbara

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I would use Epifanes poly. It is a good grade of marine finish and should hold up well.

+ 1 :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Over two years ago, I made a cross out of Brazilian Cherry to go in my folks' backyard at the grave site of our dog growing up. It has been in the ground and exposed to all of the elements since then and has held up just fine. I would highly recommend it. Here is a link.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Contrary to what many think, oil based finishes--both poly and non-poly--are relatively soft and flexible. They are nowhere near as hard as shellac, lacquer and many waterborne acrylic finishes. Even softer and more flexible are marine finishes. marine finishes are formulated with a higher percentage of oil to resin so that they can move and flex with the wood underneath as it moves with the large changes in moisture. Soft oil based finishes are also a good choice for coating soft wood. Because the wood is easily damaged from blows, a soft finish will tend to "give" yet remain intact. A "hard" film finish will crack and craze when it gets dinged leaving an entry point for moisture.

All this is a long way around to saying that a good, non-poly marine varnish is a good choice for a soft wood like cypress used on the interior of the boat. I would not use cypress for any surface that will be walked on as its softness will not support the finish as well as a harder wood.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
All this is a long way around to saying [...]
Howard, by all means, take the long way around. I've found your posts to be extremely informative. An answer such as "X is compatible with Y" is good. But an answer such as "In general, products like X are useful in situations P, R & R" is better! :icon_thum

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Howard, by all means, take the long way around. I've found your posts to be extremely informative. An answer such as "X is compatible with Y" is good. But an answer such as "In general, products like X are useful in situations P, R & R" is better! :icon_thum

+10

What are the first three words at the top of the page, underneath the logo & site address? "An educational service"

Keep those cards & letters of information & learning coming!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Contrary to what many think, oil based finishes--both poly and non-poly--are relatively soft and flexible. They are nowhere near as hard as shellac, lacquer and many waterborne acrylic finishes. Even softer and more flexible are marine finishes. marine finishes are formulated with a higher percentage of oil to resin so that they can move and flex with the wood underneath as it moves with the large changes in moisture. Soft oil based finishes are also a good choice for coating soft wood. Because the wood is easily damaged from blows, a soft finish will tend to "give" yet remain intact. A "hard" film finish will crack and craze when it gets dinged leaving an entry point for moisture.

All this is a long way around to saying that a good, non-poly marine varnish is a good choice for a soft wood like cypress used on the interior of the boat. I would not use cypress for any surface that will be walked on as its softness will not support the finish as well as a harder wood.

Howard, you da man when it comes to finishing!! :icon_thum Sooo, what would you recommend on cypress that will be outdoors? :icon_scra Thanx, Bro.

Glennbear

Glenn
Although I am no where near as informed as Howard based upon my experience I have found that any transparent finish is not going to keep UV rays from reacting with wood for very long. Film finishes without pigment to block UV are going to seperate as the wood underneath changes. :wsmile:

Mad madam MIM

New User
Marilyn
Thanks to all that have responded thus far.
With only one exception, all of the cabinets are in the cabin of the boat. I hadn't even considered UV. :eusa_thin The bulk of them are right around the main hatch and companionway and I'm primarily concerned about giving them a shiny = easily wiped down, finished look. They need to be easily cleaned becuase the 2 basic conditions of a boat are sitting unused collecting an unbelieveable quantity of ambient dirt and getting things spilled on it when it's being used because the dang things are always moving around underfoot when you aren't expecting it.

So I'm apparently looking at an oil based, UV resistant, somewhat more "soft" than I was thnking it was finish. (specific suggestions? - I'm going to google epiphanes as soon as I hit post)

And I don't need to worry about the oil in the wood "rejecting" the finish as happens with teak.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks to all that have responded thus far.
With only one exception, all of the cabinets are in the cabin of the boat. I hadn't even considered UV. :eusa_thin The bulk of them are right around the main hatch and companionway and I'm primarily concerned about giving them a shiny = easily wiped down, finished look. They need to be easily cleaned becuase the 2 basic conditions of a boat are sitting unused collecting an unbelieveable quantity of ambient dirt and getting things spilled on it when it's being used because the dang things are always moving around underfoot when you aren't expecting it.

So I'm apparently looking at an oil based, UV resistant, somewhat more "soft" than I was thnking it was finish. (specific suggestions? - I'm going to google epiphanes as soon as I hit post)

And I don't need to worry about the oil in the wood "rejecting" the finish as happens with teak.

I have no personal experience with Epiphanes marine spar varnish, but have read much about the high quality of the product. Howard's finishing advice is always excellent. You can get Epiphanes at Jamestown Distributors; it isn't cheap but for your intended application it's well worth doing it right from the get-go. :icon_cheers

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors