Hand Tool Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I was driving home from work this past Friday afternoon and getting my mind right to go to The Woodwright's School on Saturday when I decided to stop by a yard sale just down the road from my house. I saw a trailer sitting down at the end of the line with a bunch of old tools on it. Now when I say a bunch of old tools, I mean there was pry bars and car jacks screwdrivers and the like. I didn't see anything to get me excited, but I walked on over anyway. On first pass I still figured I would make it home without spending any money but then I looked over in a box and I saw a saw handle that looked interesting so I pulled it out and asked the fellow how much? He said $5.00. So I put that one under my arm and started looking harder. About 3 feet from where I found the first one there was another, again, How much? $5.00. So I added that one to my armpit as well. I tried not to let the excitement show in my face as I paid the man. When I got home and looked them over I was even more excited than I had been at the sale. Here is what followed me home for $10.00.:gar-Bi
104_1510.jpg

And when I turned them over, this is what I found.:thumbs_up
104_1511.jpg

They are both English, One is a R. Groves and sons and the other is a Barber & Genn.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yep, I'd give $ten for either one of them. Ya done good! :icon_thum

I found a couple so-so tools today, hope to pick them up Thur or Fri. One is a Diston crosscut about 26 inch 8 or 10 tpi for $15. It is very clean and still has the etching on the blade.

It was kinda dark in there and my Streamlight is loosing battery power, so I didn't get a real good look at anything.

The other is a brace with hex chuck, I've never seen one like it. The outside is hex, jaws are regular tapered square.

I might get a couple other things there, he has a Sargent #5 for $26 it is complete and fairly clean. I usually pick these up to give away, he's a little high but if I get several things he will come down a good bit. I've been working on him for over a month.

He also has a Chinese set of Forstner bits in a wood box. They look to be better than run of the mill Chinese. From 1/4" to 1 3/4" by 1/8ths for $90 is way more than I would pay. He said make an offer so we'll see.

Then there are a couple other little things for cheap.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice Score!:icon_cheers

They look like a couple of nice saws! How much work will you have to do on them?

James Davis

New User
James Davis
There is a little surface rust on the top one in the picture. It cuts fairly well but, could use a touch up with a file. It is the Barber & Genn. The other one, the R. Groves and Sons is ready to go to work. As a matter of fact, I was just in the shop practicing cutting to the line with it tonight. The Barber & Genn just needs a little wet sanding and it will be ready.

James

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Your tool-hunting mojo was working! I don't know whether to be stunned about the saw find or the price!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Just like hitting that one nice shot on the golf course that keeps us coming back. :gar-Bi

I love looking through stuff to find a hidden gem. Your post reminds me that I need to stop more often. 5 bucks a pop is very cool. :cool:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors