Hand Plane Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Any recommendations on where to begin reading to learn about hand planes, their use, types, etc ...

PeteM lead me to a video, which I plan to watch this week. I also want to find some more information I can read when a video is not practical (websites, books, etc).

nelsone

New User
Ed
If you want a site that tells about the many different Stanley planes, check out this site.

What are you wanting to do with the planes? The only ones I have are a #3 and #5 Stanleys. I use the #5 quite a bit. If you make a shooting board, they are great for squaring/trimming board ends. I will probably get a jointer like a #7 next for flattening/leveling boards. There are others who will be better equipped to answer your questions. What planes do you have now? If you want to get together sometime, I'll help you with what I know.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Here is another good site... https://home.comcast.net/~stanleyplanes/planes101/planes101.htm

Beware, planes can be addictive! Lot of fun watching those curls! Just an extension of woodworking that I seem to enjoy! I wouldn't give up my tailed tools, but I enjoy tinkering with the planes and chisels. Kinda cool using a plane that is a 100 years old! Wonder what it could tell me? Where has it been, etc? I have about 7 now, lost count recently. From Stanleys to Lie-Nielsons. Haven't drifted to Cliftons, Miller Falls, etc. yet. Plan to stay with the Stanleys and Lie-Nielsons. Just want me a good user set from a #3 to a #7 jointer. Find someone with a tuned plane and put a nice board in your vice and work with it. Sometimes my Performax, jonters and planers, etc. just aren't right for the mood I'm in at the time!

Nativespec

New User
David
Watch the Woodwright and practice. I bought a book but never cracked it open. Part of the technique is learning how to shift the pressure from the front to back of the sole as you move down the board. It helps to have that blade extremely sharp.

David

Jay

New User
Jay
Garrett Hack has a great book on handplanes. I think that is what it is called Handplanes or something to that effect. I have read it just don't remember the exact title. Also if you would like to try a class Bill Anderson does a great class on hand planes. I have taken it myself and would suggest it to any beginner. Hope that helps.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for the book recommendation. Seems to be a popular one, so I'll probably order it soon.

I also picked up three more DVD's from WC today (rentals) .... Lie-Nielsen Toolworks - Hand Plane Techniques with David Charlesworth - Parts 1, 2 & 3. Hopefully will have time to watch them soon.

Just from what I've heard, and my limited knowledge of handplanes, I think I might return the Groz planes and just buy one nice Lie-Nielsen to get me started.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You can't go wrong with the LN planes. Wish I could get a couple, but I think I'll stick with the vintage Stanleys. Hand planes really are a joy to use when they are tuned up. The LN should be good to go right out of the box, but you may want to do a final honing on the iron.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks for the book recommendation. Seems to be a popular one, so I'll probably order it soon.

I also picked up three more DVD's from WC today (rentals) .... Lie-Nielsen Toolworks - Hand Plane Techniques with David Charlesworth - Parts 1, 2 & 3. Hopefully will have time to watch them soon.

Just from what I've heard, and my limited knowledge of handplanes, I think I might return the Groz planes and just buy one nice Lie-Nielsen to get me started.

I wanna know where you're money tree is hiding! :lol:

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Jeremy,

Just a thought here... for the price of the groz you may want to just throw them on the shelf. Not all the work you do with a hand plane is pretty work. For example, when you put that 9" wide plank through your 8 " jointer you can hand plane the remaining inch. Being rough lumber, you may not want to reach for the LN in that case.

Stephen

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good point. I have a cheapo ($7) block plane I picked up from Northern Tool. I use it to scrape off excess epoxy (filling knot holes), so I don't ruin my good $20 Stanley block plane :laugh:

I have one really nice Veritas/ LV Jack plane, it's easy to see the quality. But, I can make nice thin shavings with that $7 no-brand block plane too, provided the blade is sharp. I think planes are like routers, you just keep adding more. Perhaps the best idea is to get a nice LN plane AND a Groz, and use the former to figure out how to tune up the latter. Of course, now you've bought TWO tools :) :tool:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Like Redhawk said be very careful. You're standing at the top of a steep and slippery slope from which there's no return. Case in point below:help:

Attachments

• 100_0220.jpg
    100_0220.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_0221.jpg
    100_0221.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_0367.jpg
    100_0367.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 187

nelsone

New User
Ed
Jeremy, check out the FWW Tools & Shops issue that is still on the shelves. There is a fairly good article on must have planes.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Larry: :eek:

I tend to collect things as well and know full well how you got to that state.:rotflm:

Jeremy, you can get decent Stanleys from flea markets, antique shops and fleabay. As some of the other guys mentioned, keep it sharp and use the uglier plane for the ugly jobs. I have about a dozen or so at present and definitely use specific ones for specific jobs. No point spending a half hour putting a mirror finish on an iron to use if to remove paint..
.:kermit: Steve

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Larry.... all I can say is .... I thought that was a picture of my wife's shoe collection....you got it bad.

Jeremy...can you clue me in to how I can go on a spending spree like that without my wife having a fit?

Will

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Larry, some fine looking planes! Wish the pics were larger! Just picked up a Stanley Bailey #3 a few minutes ago at a local antique botique. One of the "Stanley Rule & Level" blades in it. Looks like a Type 9 with Patent Dates Mar-25-02 & Aug-19-02 and no frog adj. screw. Getting ready to dismantle it and look it over. Love to take em apart, clean em up, tune a little, sharpen and make them a user!!!! Doesn't look bad for 15 bucks! I'll post some pics when I'm done!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
To me there's nothing more satisfying (in the shop) than cleaning and tuning up an old dirty fleamarket find and hearing the first paper thin shavings come off a well behaved piece of wood. Yeah, yeah I know ....I'm pitiful:embaresse

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for all of the feedback. I ended up returning the three Groz planes after much research and from this feedback. Instead I'm going to put "good money after good tools" and will likely get my first Lie Nielsen soon (hopefully at the WC sale March 1).

I'm also going to keep an eye out at flea markets and maybe get some "wall art" that if in time I can tune up, I will. :thumbs_up

Between now and then ... I'm learning by reading & watchin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS