Guess this wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I finished this bowl yesterday and thought the wood turned out so well I wanted to have a little fun with it. I thought it would be fun to see how many fellow turners could guess what kind of wood it is.
Jack
IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am guessing it is an atypical piece of whatever it is. I think a see a sapwood/heartwood line that indicates something with an awful lot of sapwood, but then up near the rim is another dark streak, so maybe it is oddball coloration. I am going out into left field and guessing it is a common wood that grew weird. Sweetgum or poplar.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Andy got it. It is poplar that turned out very nice. The crazy thing about it is the outside shape was roughed out by one of my old students. He gave up on it when the tenon broke off when he first tried to hollow it out and it was just forgot about for over a year. I mean it had not been hollowed out one bit. It should have cracked up sitting uncovered but had no checking or cracking in it. The wood was all but dry when I found it, so I thought it was worth trying to hollow out and see what the wood would look like finished.
Jack

fergy

New User
Fergy
Wow, I really thought I had that one. :) That figure and color looks a lot like myrtle that has been oiled with a darkening oil.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Poplar.
I love poplar. It is readily available around here. The color streaks helped give it away. Hard to beat it for practice wood when its everywhere. It isn't junk wood, but doesn't always turn out as you hope. WHen it does its as nice as most and more-so than some. Sometimes the color streaks fade quick and sometimes they stay. Not sure the difference (Dave-O??).
Great piece Jack. Your students do well!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Andy got it. It is poplar that turned out very nice. The crazy thing about it is the outside shape was roughed out by one of my old students. He gave up on it when the tenon broke off when he first tried to hollow it out and it was just forgot about for over a year. I mean it had not been hollowed out one bit. It should have cracked up sitting uncovered but had no checking or cracking in it. The wood was all but dry when I found it, so I thought it was worth trying to hollow out and see what the wood would look like finished.
Jack

Well, it had me fooled. It really looked a lot like some walnut sapwood I have turned!!! It is amazing the colors and grain are so close to the walnut sapwood in that pic.

Jerry

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Poplar - humm that had me fooled - First thing I thought about was Red Bud - I turned some RedBud that I got from Mark Go. this past Spring and I thought your looked alot like it - Nice job on the save Jack - We need to get a car pool up and come out to visit with you some day -

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
My first thought was also walnut or claro walnut, but I'm not nearly the wood expert that most of you are. Either way, that is a beautiful bowl Jack. :icon_thum

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
My first thought was also walnut or claro walnut, but I'm not nearly the wood expert that most of you are. Either way, that is a beautiful bowl Jack. :icon_thum
=1 what Trent said Im no wood expert BUT i did just cut a huge poplar and this looked just like my heart wood. Nice bowl
Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS