Grizzly TS $100 motor needs work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
I'm thinking about it since it looks like a good deal. My only concern is whether I'll know enough to fix it up as my first TS.

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
Brian,
If I did not already have a decent saw I would do it myself. You will find a ton help here when you ask so I would not worry about that.

Steve

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Get somebody to go look at it with you to be sure there are not other problems and I'm sure there are plenty here who will help you exchange the motor.

Do you have a 220 outlet in your shop?

The motors for sale in Greensboro are 220. A great deal for $60 - 1.5 HP explosion proof motor.

If not I might trade my Delta motor for the 220 one if you like.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
It looks like Grizzly's normal 1 1/2 hp motors are 3450 rpm with a 5/8" shaft. The classified ad ones are 1700rpm and a 7/8" shaft. What would I need to do to make that work, and would I be giving up much with the lower RPM?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You need a pulley twice the size of the grizzly motor pulley. You may have to make a new guard for the pulley and belt. You may loose a little torque, but I don't think so.

Those motors are explosion proof so you will never have to worry about dust getting into your motor.

Those motors are probably worth 2 - 3 times the asking price. A great deal.

Only thing to be sure of is the mount. Needs to be the same mount as the saw.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Provided there wasn't something catastrophic with the windings, it's most likely just a dead capacitor or switch ($15). I'd jump on it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
McMaster-Carr has the pulleys for 9- 60 bucks. I just ordered one for my lathe. It came yesterday. two day delivery from Atlanta. 4.50 postage for UPS ground. the shipping charge won't show on your checkout, they add the actual shipping charge later.

The one I got is a very nice machined black steel 2.5 inch pulley with the finished bore and keyway for $8.86.

me happy!

http://www.mcmaster.com/

page 1038

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS