Greetings from Durham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
So I've been a lurking member for a while now. Mostly I've been coveting and dealing with irrepressible feelings of jealousy and longing. No longer! My shop is ready to go (well, not really, but almost, well, I'm getting there) so I figured it's time to start posting.

I've been a woodworker my entire life, I grew up in my father's shop. Since going off to college I've not had much opportunity. Until we moved last year my "shop" consisted of a converted 6x10 storage closet behind our townhouse that was just large enough to store my portable tools and a tiny bench. Any project was limited to something I could complete in one day. I had to have time to pull all the tools, set the up in the yard, finish everything, and clean up before it got dark. Had some nice small projects but was quite limited....

The new house had an unfinished basement. Over the last year I added a bathroom (had a pro add the hookups), a sub-panel (a single 15A circuit just wasn't gonna cut it, did this one myself) and sectioned off a quarter of it for storage. I recently acquired most of a good friend's shop machinery (unfortunately he had to give up woodworking) so things are about to get very interesting around here. My kids are a bit too young to fully appreciate it (4.5 and 2) but I'm incredibly thrilled that I'm going to be able to pass on to them the same love of woodworking (and DYIing in general) that my father passed on to me. Now I just have to find the time!!

I'm looking forward to getting to to know you all.

Travis

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to site, Travis!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I look forward to reading your future posts and seeing some photo's of projects. With two young ones, I am sure that the project list will seem never-ending.:wsmile:

Take care,

Wayne

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Welcome to the "family" on the net. There are a real bunch of nice people here that can almost answer any question you may have. Looking forward bto seeing some of the projects small or large

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual sawdust pile, Travis. Glad you "came out" and joined us. I'm a mountaineer now, but lived in Durham for 18 years until I retired. Retirement is great -- bigger shop, more time, too busy! Welcome aboard!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Welcome Travis. I'm just down the road from you in Carolina Blue country. If you ever need anything, just give me a shout.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Welcome aboard! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap
You'll find this to be a helpful and friendly group, If you ever need anything, just holler!

Dan

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!

@Tarheel: I'm "born and bred" myself! I live in Durham (and work for that school with the other shade of blue) but everyone knows where I stand!

Travis

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings! Glad you came out of lurking!

Look forward to seeing pics of some of this work!

Jim

algustaf

New User
Al
Travis I lurk around here often too. I am in N.Durham, so let me know if you ever need a hand moving some heavy iron around the shop, I will try to squeeze in some time to help around taking care of the youngins. By the way if anyone is reading this and wants to volunteer to help me get a Powermatic 81 bandsaw down 6 steps to my basement please email me.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Travis. I'm glad you got your shop in order. :eusa_danc I'm kickin' it townhouse style right now, so I can definitely relate to that. Please share some of your projects once you get them going. :icon_thum

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Welcome aboard Travis! I think all of us have been in your shoes at some time or other. Having a dedicated workspace is going to make a world of difference in your life. Don't forget to post pictures!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks again everybody. I hear you loud and clear on the pictures. The shop is a wreck right now as I'm still trying to figure out where to put everything and I'm running two new 220 circuits (one for the DC, the other for everything else) so it's just a mess. I'll try to post some before/in process pics to show the progress I've made so far. I'm not sure I'll ever be able post "after" pictures... Is there such a thing?

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS