Greetings from coastal NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member, but certainly not new to woodworking. I live in Morehead City (actually just outside of Morehead, technically in Newport) I've been woodworking since 1972 while I was still in school in New Orleans. I've had many hobbies come and go, but woodworking has always been a constant.

Furniture building has always been what I enjoy the most. For several years I was quite focused on woodturning, and still do some from time to time, but furniture is what really drives me. For the past 20 years or so I have pretty much concentrated my furniture building on the Arts and Crafts style, more specifically the furniture of F.L. Wright and the Greene brothers. I design all of my furniture, and do not build from plans, and don't do reproductions. More recently, I have made an effort to develop a style that is more my own, with some distinctly Oriental influences.

When I started in woodworking, space and economics confined me to the use of hand tools alone. I think in the long run that really was a great benefit. I've built many pieces of furniture with hand tools alone, surfacing and joining with hand planes, and cutting mortises, tenons, dovetails, etc., by hand. The love of hand tools also inspired another related hobby of tool collection. I have a collection of about 100 Stanley hand planes, a number of which I sue on occasion. Over the years I have slowly accumulated a fairly complete shop of machine tools, but still enjoy the hand work.

I retired about 2 years ago, and now do woodworking "semi-professionally." That means I'm in my shop just about every day for most of the day, but make very little money at it!! I do commissioned pieces, and also have work at Handscapes Gallery in Beaufort, NC. This coming February I will have a few pieces at the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forums. I've been lurking here for a few days, and have already learned some very useful things. I hope to learn a lot more, and perhaps I can add something useful to others every now and then.

That's probably enough. I learn more by listening and reading than I do by talking!

Matt Zettl
The Zettl Works

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome aboard Matt, it is great that you have found this wonderful group of woodworkers. Feel free to jump in at any time, and please show us some pictures of your work!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Matt! With all of that experience under your belt, I would bet that us "newbies" would certainly look forward to your posts!:eusa_danc

This is a really friendly bunch of sawdusters and always provide a ton of advice to all members at large.

We do love to see photo's of our member's work, both to learn and envy the craftsmanship of our peers.

Post often and stay safe around those tools!:wsmile:

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Matt, I am glad that you found us. It sounds like you have a world of experience that we can all tap into :icon_thum We all learn more by reading and listening, than we do by talking....but someone has to do the writing and talking for us all to learn from. I look forward to your input in the forums :icon_thum And hopefully seeing some pictures of your work, and plane collection.
Jump in and have fun!!

See you around!

Dave:)

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome Matt, you talent will be in good company on this site. I look forward to hearing more about your projects and like the rest.
PICS PLEASE :gar-Bi Jim

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I've put a few photos in the members gallery. I need to organize them a bit better, but haven't really delved into the details of posting photos yet, so bear with me. Fortunately, I learn quickly, at least when it comes to things I like to do!

Matt

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Matt, dang that's some beautiful work -

P1060331.jpg

P1060288.jpg

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to our saw dust pile Matt. I am glad you found us. That is some awsome looking works of art you have made.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Welcome Matt,

That is one beautiful piece of work! Welcome to the site from another coastal NC'er. Hope you can post some more pix soon.

Ernie

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It's nice to feel welcome. I'm amazed by the work of the members here, and the willingness to share information, expertise, etc. is what it is all about.

Matt

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Matt, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you with us. Your work is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see more.

You mentioned school in N.O.; Tulane... UNO... ??? :gar-Bi As the resident "cajun" and Tiger fan, my interest was peaked :wink_smil.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Whoa! :eek: That's some INCREDIBLE work Matt! :swoon: :icon_thum

This really is a great group of folks. Please post as many pictures as possible of your work and feel free to share as much of your expertise as possible (with people like me :rotflm:).

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1 from another coastal NCWWer

Trent

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Matt, I just read the post and then looked at your photos :swoon:

Amazing design and craftsmanship. I love the jewelry chest and the display cabinet. Look forward to viewing more of your work and learning from another great source on this site.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Matt, welcome aboard. Like others all I can say is WOW that's some beautiful work!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Can't wait to see more and maybe pick up some pointers.

Brian.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Matt :icon_thum
Clearly you have a lot to contribute to the forum and I'm really looking forward to more pic and comments. That is fine woodworking!!!

Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Great to have you join us! Most impressed with your work. I'm a big G&G fan and your sideboard is beautiful!
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS