Great picnic today. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
She said I could just leave it with you instead of taking it to my truck, but we decided that I would just forget it and you would take it back home with you.

I remember that conversation. The board I forgot to pick up was from the lumber run.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a Super Day!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Enjoyed it extensively and the annual get together seems to get better with every passing year.

Thanks to ScottM for doing such a great job coordinating the site and ensuring that all went without a single hiccup!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Even the NC weather cooperated.

Thanks again!!

Wayne

bwat

New User
Bill
Had a good time at the picnic, thanks to all for the hours of work in preparation and execution. There is never enough time to meet and speak to all but very enjoyable gathering.

I'm very glad to see the thanks to Steve Coles mentions above. I was very surprised that his accomplishments were not publicly applauded at the picnic and I never got the time to thank him again personally. Thanks again Steve!:icon_thum

I would ask that the new board make a public founder appreciation statement a priority in future annual gatherings.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wood Food
Good
Tool Drool
Sun
Hamburger Bun
Big Cheer
Until Next Year

Glennbear

Glenn
Wood Food
Good
Tool Drool
Sun
Hamburger Bun
Big Cheer
Until Next Year

I was surprised to see haiku type prose from someone of Netherlands ancestry until I read the following from Wikipedia:

The earliest westerner known to have written haiku was the Dutchman Hendrik Doeff (1764–1837), who was the Dutch commissioner in the Dejima trading post in Nagasaki, during the first years of the 19th century.[34] One of his haiku:[35]
inazuma no
kaina wo karan
kusamakura lend me your arms,
fast as thunderbolts,
for a pillow on my journey.

Well said Bas :wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This was our third picnic and it was an excellent time! It was great meeting folks that I hadn't met before and catching up with everyone else. Thanks so much to Scott, Bruce, Pete and everyone else that had a hand putting this thing together! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Myself included, we had a GREAT TIME! But everybody knows the rules, NO PICTURES, DIDN'T HAPPEN:nah:! Didn't anyone take some pictures to make nonattendees feel bad. (Those with heart conditions excepted.) Weather went off perfect. After leaving picnic, we came straight, well almost straight home. I had a couple items in trailer that I didn't want to get wet, and was able to unload them before the rain started. But that worked out to my advantage. Having gotten up early to make tea, and being just plain STUFFED, I took an hour long nap:icon_cheers. Then I got up and started cleaning up pots and pans. Who dirtied all these things:dontknow:? I was one of the last to eat, but it still looked like "dinner on the grounds at a Baptist Church." There was more left than was eaten. Looking forward to next year, which I presume will be the Saturday after Mother's Day. Now I have to put all that stuff away. Ritter Park was an EXCELLENT CHOICE! No steps, parking, and restrooms, plus a shelter big enough to hold all of us.

cskipper

Cathy
She said I could just leave it with you instead of taking it to my truck, but we decided that I would just forget it and you would take it back home with you.

Geez, I just finally realized what you meant - yes that's exactly what you guys said when she bought the basket - lol!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Geez, I just finally realized what you meant - yes that's exactly what you guys said when she bought the basket - lol!

Sorry, Cathy. I didn't make myself very clear in the beginning. Anyway, it was great to meet you and see you and your work in person. I knew as soon as my wife saw the baskets that we were going to take at least one of them home!:wsmile:

When we got home, she asked if I could make those, so I took the opportunity to say "Well, I could try, but I would need a NEW SCROLL SAW". She asked how much and I kinda avoided the question. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a good one (maybe the DeWalt 788 or similar).

cskipper

Cathy
Sorry, Cathy. I didn't make myself very clear in the beginning. Anyway, it was great to meet you and see you and your work in person. I knew as soon as my wife saw the baskets that we were going to take at least one of them home!:wsmile:

When we got home, she asked if I could make those, so I took the opportunity to say "Well, I could try, but I would need a NEW SCROLL SAW". She asked how much and I kinda avoided the question. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a good one (maybe the DeWalt 788 or similar).

I'll keep my eye out for you!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was surprised to see haiku type prose from someone of Netherlands ancestry
Haiku? All I was able to produce this morning were one syllable words. It was late last night :eek:ccasion1, and the caffeine hadn't kicked in :eek:

But I did not know that interesting piece of information!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This was my second picnic, and I think I had even more fun than I did last year. I know I certainly ate more. :rotflm: Thanks to EVERYONE who made it happen. Can't wait till next year.

Bill

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
just want to echo the thanks to all those the planned and executed and a perfect picnic! Thanks Rob for assembling a great set of raffle prizes, Thanks to Rick and other sponsors that donated prizes. We appreciate your support of NCWW!

I think I am still full from lunch yesterday! Great food and great catching up with old friends and meeting new ones! :eek:ccasion1

Until next year,
Dan

tar1heel

New User
RJ
This was my first NCWW picnic and it was OUTSTANDING! A great way to meet all the friendly helpful woodworkers that participate here. Also great food, terrific door prizes, fantastic raffle (would have been even better if I had won something...maybe next year). So I want to echo what others have said - THANKS to all the folks who made this happen.:icon_cheers

Bryan S

Bryan
Bryan,

Sorry I missed you. Didn't know you would be there.

Scream at me next time! :rotflm:
Mike I do apologize. We had the Tasmanian Devil, AKA our 3 yr old grandson, Wesley Gunn with us. :gar-La; You may have seen him pushing his toy mower, or running through the shelter, or telling the fine fellow that cooked the corn on the cob that he did not get any. That was after Wesley had eaten 2 ears. He is a hand full, needless to say we did not get to socialize anywhere near as much as we wanted.

I do hope to make it to the Moose cafe this time.

jpaup

New User
JP
I too would like to echo the thanks and sentiments already posted on this thread. This was our second annual picnic and it was a real pleasure to put together the face to face presence with all of the posts I have mostly only read over this site this past year. I would particularly like to echo the statements stated earlier in the thanks to Steve Cole in his vision and commitment in making the NCWW community the reality it has become. Thank you Steve for having the heart to see that what you created was bigger than can be sustained by a single person and needed a structure that would alowe the broad sholders of the community to carry foward the vision.

This picnic was a double pleasure for me. Just the weekend before, I was able to reconnect with one of my best friends that I had not seen for almost 30 years. My buddy George and I had been part of the ship's band when we were in the Navy back in the 70's. George has a son, Nathan, who lives in Morrisville that I had last seen as an infant. We all got together a week ago for an evening of picking guitars and cooking outside by the fire.

I asked Nathan and his girlfriend Tracy and her son Noah to join us at the NCWW picnic. And they came. And won a raffle prize. And it didn't rain all day until we drove home. A blessed day!

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
Having only begun participating on NCWW a few short weeks ago, this was my first event. Thank you to those that put on such a terrific picnic, and thanks also for making myself and my family feel welcome. We had a lot of fun!

.bob

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I too, wish to thank all who worked so hard on this picnic. It was an outstanding job. Of the six picnics we have had, this may have been the best overall.

I enjoyed myself very much and next year, I will try to get there earlier, so I will be able to talk to more people.

To those who expressed their appreciation for me, thank you very much, but I not sure the "good natured" comment is true.:gar-Bi Seriously the only appreciation I want is to be allowed to feel that I am an integral part of this wonderful community.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I wanted to thank everyone who helped put the picnic together. I wish I had a chance to meet more folks. I'm very happy that I was able to meet Earl (my turning idol!). :icon_thum LOL Too bad all his beautiful segmented forms were in a show down in Goldsboro. I was really looking forward to seeing some of them.

I suppose I also have to apologize... I wound up winning more than my fair share, I guess. Somehow my son, wife, and I all ended up with door prizes AND I won a raffle prize. Wow. What a day!

MikeH

New User
Mike
I was so sad not to be able to make the picnic. Money just ran out before the end of the week and we had to stay home. I WILL be there next year for sure. Where are the pics????

remember....NO PICS.......NEVER HAPPENED! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS