Grandbaby's Cradle Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
After about 100 hours or so of work the baby cradle is completed. More photos in my album. I did not turn the spindles (I don't have a lathe or the skill to do them), round knobs or screw button covers. Everything else was cut from rough red oak. This is for our first grandbaby that is due 4/19. :eusa_danc I use a plan from August Publishing. The cradle is designed to be dissambled when not in use. When it is dissambled it will only take up a space about 8" high x 35" long. I'm amazed that I didn't make any major blunders. Maybe we do get better with practice. :lol:

Let see if I was to charge $400 to build one......$150 for plans and materials leaves $250 divided by 100 hours equals $2.50 @hr. Boy I could soon get rich.:BangHead: But that is 3 times what I made as a kid on the farm housing tobacco. :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• DSC02155_edited.JPG
    DSC02155_edited.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 247

sapwood

New User
Roger
Splinter, I think it's priceless :eusa_clap

And you got 80 cents an hour for working on the farm---doh, I only got 50 cents :eusa_sile

Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work, Splinter!

Whatever finish you decided on sure did make that grain POP! :eusa_danc I am sure that this will definitely become a family treasure!

Excellent job! (I bet you enjoyed every one of those 100HRS regardless of what it paid!)

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dolan, that is absolutely beautiful. Your fit and finish look perfect. Excellent thinking with it being able to be disassembled because once someone has a baby they no longer have extra room to spare. Your upcoming grand-baby is a lucky kid.
Dave:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
what a great project. Just think, once your grandkid grows up, they can use it for their kids. It's ideas like that that keep me making sawdust. Thanks for the inspiration. :icon_thum

KWLTLL

New User
Kevin
Beautiful job splinter! And congrats on the grandbaby. I wouldn't spend time figuring hours or money. So far I haven't met anyone getting rich at this. Keep up the great work.:eusa_danc

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great job, and what an heirloom. Just a thought: I made a cradle for my niece and had a local trophy shop make a small (2' x 3") plaque which reads "Babies who have slept here". I have had both her girls names engraved on the plaque. Pretty cool!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Beautiful work. I hope you put your name on it. I like the idea of putting a plaque on it. I made a cherry bench for my son last fall per his request. He had pictures of one his grandfather made years ago. My son was sitting on that bench in the pictures. He was about four. He now is 35. I made one for him and put plexaglass frames under the bottom where I put the pictures of him. The smile on the faces mean more than money when it comes to family treasures.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Thanks for all the positive comments. It was a real pleasure to make it. LOML and I have been waiting a long time for our first grandchild. Our only child, a son, is 37 and just got married 3+ years ago. Our daughter-in-law saw it last night and was thrilled. :icon_thum Yes, I signed and dated it with a permanent Sharpie pen on the bottom of one of the feet.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new "woodworker". And the cradle is beautiful.:-D

(I got .50/hour bucking 125 lb hay bales and pulling horse-radish. As a union machinist in 1969, I was making $2.17 1/2 per hour, so you're doing great!!):lol:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Beautiful job, those are the projects that really stand the test of time and get passed down through the generations.

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Dolan,

Lovely cradle for a precious bundle....now, guys and gals, this is what it is all about.

Duke & Irene

Worked at a McDonald's... for the hamburgers!! :rolf: when you stood outside to order and they were still working on their first million sold!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job on the cradle Dolan and congrats on the upcoming grandchild.:icon_thum I know that child will have many peaceful nights sleeping in that cradle.

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dolan,

Be sure to do a repost with the little one in the cradle. Gotta love it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS