Gouge grind pictures for Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Phillip, I tried to take some photos of my bowl gouges but I just could not get a picture with enough detail to be worthwhile posting. So I borrowed some pictures from the "Tool Grind Library at WoodCentral". I am not sure to whom they belong but the pictures are not mine.

The first picture is very similar to the grind that I prefer for roughing out a bowl and removing a lot of wood very quickly. I also use it in the scraper mode both on the inside and outside of bowls. I have this shape ground on both my 1/2" and 5/8" gouges. When freshly sharpened and used in the scraper mode it is possible to get extremely smooth finish cuts with a grind like this.

The second picture is a very similar grind but the wings are ground back a little shorter. I use this grind for shaping shallower bowls and face plate turned boxes and also to clean up both the inside and outside of bowls.

And lastly the third picture shows an example the previous two although I don't grind my longest bevel to as sharp a point as the one pictured in the middle. I do have a bowl gouge ground like the one pictured at the bottom of the third picture which I patterned after the "Dave Hout Bowl Skew" which I find is a wonderful tool for taking very fine cuts and smoothing the inside of bowls.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS