Got us some tools, now to learn tecnique

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
My Son "02Ranger" is getting very interested in carving. He has gotten me interested in it as well. We have bought some basic tools, knives and gouges and the all necessary gloves. We have done a couple of things together, NO PICS. Not until we get better at least. But when it is too cold to work in the shop, we can carve inside:widea:. I think I am going to like the option of doing this at any time, basically anywhere. Thanks 02Ranger for getting me hooked in yet another aspect of woodworking. I will post some pics, when we do something worth posting.
Any advise for a couple of newbies would be welcome.

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Congrats on getting into carving Tracy (and 02ranger). I wish I could give you some advice, but the closest thing I've done to carving is removing some wood in a mortise with a chisel. I can't wait to see what you all crank out! :icon_thum

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Glad you got an interest in carving. The beginners kit from Rick's Little Shavers is a great kit. Rick sharpens every thing he sends out. When you get it, it's ready to use. The one thing I would recommend is to but the very best tools that you can afford. Noting is more frustrating than trying to carve with tools that are no good. Simple rule: if the manufacture doesn't put their name on it, don't but it! I don't know what type of wood carving your interested in, architectural, decorative, chip or caricature, like I do. If caricature is your interest, I would recommend checking out Gene Messer's videos on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/whittler0507
Gene carves in the Flat Plane style and has many videos showing how to start with your blank, all the way through to the painting of your carving. At present, he has over 230 videos. Great site!!! Another site I would recommend is the forum on Woodcarvers Illustrated www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/
Lot's of great idea and tutorial there also. Check them out and I hope to see some photos soon.

Chuck

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Tracy, why don't you post some pictures of you and son doing the carving - you don't have to post the actual carving - that would be a great pic of father and son carving something out together -no matter what you carve the time together is worth it all:icon_thum

TracyP

Tracy
Topknot,
We got some cheap tools to start with. We soon learned that this was a mistake. So my son went to Woodcraft and bought us some Flexcut knives. They cut the wood like butter. I would love to be able to do caricature carving. I have looked at the website you sent me by pm. I was very impressed with the youtube videos that you posted the link to also.

Scott, thanks for the link I will order something from there I am sure.

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy, why don't you post some pictures of you and son doing the carving - you don't have to post the actual carving - that would be a great pic of father and son carving something out together -no matter what you carve the time together is worth it all:icon_thum

We did not take any photos of our carving, but we will in the future. Great idea Phillip. Remind me to show you the "Duck" tomorrow:embaresse. It is my first project.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
We did not take any photos of our carving, but we will in the future. Great idea Phillip. Remind me to show you the "Duck" tomorrow:embaresse. It is my first project.

Looking forward to it Tracy, I think that I have a duck body and head in my drawer that has not been touched from days gone by - I will bring it to you tomorrow

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:saw: All righty, then. This is one giant step back from the lathe. Rejoin us flatwooders.

ccccarving

New User
Charles
Tracy,
Next Sunday bring your son to Thomasville Community Center at 2:30. Tarheel woodcarvers meeting. You can meet several carvers and plenty of free instuctions.
Charlie

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy,
Next Sunday bring your son to Thomasville Community Center at 2:30. Tarheel woodcarvers meeting. You can meet several carvers and plenty of free instuctions.
Charlie

Wow, thanks for the invite, and he just happens to be off from work then.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Glad to see more and more interest in carving here! I will be looking forward to seeing what you are doing!

TracyP

Tracy
OK, 02Ranger and I are planning on going to the meeting in Thomasville this Sunday. If any other folks from Charlotte area want to go we can carpool from Salisbury, just let me know in advance so I can borrow the appropriate size vehicle.

ccccarving

New User
Charles
Tracy,
Looked for you at the meeting today. Wished you could have made it. Next month it will be Sunday Feb. 22nd. Put it on your calendar I believe you'll enjoy it.

Charlie

TracyP

Tracy
Sorry we did not make it today, I started coming down with the crud once again, did not want to spread things. I hope to make it next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS