Good turning dvds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I'd like to buy some dvds on turning. I tried to search on here but could get decent results. There are more then a few choices and I was wondering what people have seen and liked. I'm looking for something on turning bowls and other projects. If you have them, links would also help.

Thanks
Wes

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some I've really gotten a lot from include Taming the Skew by Alan Lacer and Turning Boxes by Richard Raffin.

I realize skews play less a role in bowl turning, but its still a very excellent treatment on the tool and its use.

You might want to consider Smartflix, where you can rent most of these videos for $10/week.

Jim

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
i agre bill grumbines are good , lyle jammesion has a good one on bowls takes his time and explains why and how he does what he does. mike mahoney has a good one too. and yes there are many on you tube . joe ruminski from here in n.c has a good one too. most turning clubs have a library they lend to members as well as a lot of help and support to new turners, if there is one close to you it will help you a lot to attend a meeting and see some demostations.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Grumbine's are good and Raffan's are good as well.
Youtube is free and prolific although you may see things that aren't "best form" and not know the difference.
I recommend looking at different people's videos and watching several turners, learn more than one way and experiment to find what works best for you.
Clubs often have a library of videos, and friends may have some to share.
If you have an idea of what type turning spindle, bowl, pens etc you are interested in that might help. Not to say you can't do several types- enjoy!

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I've turned some small bowls, a bunch of pens and a few goblets. I'm really interested in seeing the whole process done by a real master. I'm still a little fearful of turning a block of wood larger then a shallow 5x5 block so I wanted to get some more info on technique so I feel safer and more confident around the lathe.

I ordered the first Bill Grumbines video and will watch that as soon as it gets here. I've looked at some of the youtube and the quality is pretty low its hard to see the bevel angles or orientation of the tool to the wood in most cases.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Wes

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wes, one other suggestion, the infamous Wallace Brothers (Bill and Jim) teach woodturning out at Alamance Community College.

My dad has been a regular for 2 years. I know Stuart is now heading out there from Chapel Hill as well.

Its less a class and more a clubhouse for turners. But Bill and Jim are great at helping folks out.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS