Good Saw For Prepping Wood for Turning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have the same Q and have done a little research and this saw is very highly rated. The highest I have seen for an electric. Try amazon for a lower price.
Salem

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
why electric? i have the el cheapo poulan from lowes. it's served me well over the years.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I have no experience with this Makita, but thought I'd throw this out there.

After having used my father-in-law's electric chainsaw a few times, I liked it and decided to buy one myself (I don't have a gas-powered one). I bought a Remington electric saw from Home Depot or Lowes. I didn't do any research, which was very unusual for me (VERY!). It worked GREAT (well, good enough, considering what it is...) for about 3 years. Was able to EASILY take down 16-20" pine trees with it. It suddenly died after a particular job of about 30 mins of continuous use. I'm guessing I had no more than a total of about 90 mins of combined run time on it. (!!!) I checked it out online and found a HUGE number of complaints about it dying after an hour of use, etc. I took it apart and found the lead on one of the brushes had become unwelded. (Obvious design flaw when it overheats). I found a similar set of brushes from McMaster for about $5 that required a little modification with my Dremel, and I was up and running again! :eusa_danc

Now... for the more important part of the post (I really just wanted to brag that I fixed something electric and didn't just throw it out :D )....

While I was out of commission on the electric saw, I needed to finish the job I had started. I went over to Walmart to see if they had a small, cheap gas saw. I stumbled upon a Black & Decker 18V cordless saw (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CCS818-Cordless-Electric/dp/B000GIKXXU).

I was VERY reluctant to buy another B&D ANYTHING (yes... I've been down that road before), but it was on sale for something like $65. I decided to try it. I was NOT disappointed. I REALLY like it. Even though it has a short bar, I was able to take down a 12" tree. It has surprisingly good torque. The ONLY complaint (so far) is that it has really short run life on a single charge... maybe about 15 mins of usable power. For small jobs, it's been great (e.g., a single tree or a bunch of branches). I immediately questioned whether to invest in another battery ($40) for my ONLY B&D 18V tool.... or to start investing in other B&D tools that come with the batteries (way more cost effective, but not the brand I'd prefer). Oh...one more complaint (annoyance). It has a gravity fed oil reservoir that may or may not leak oil. I fill it with the minimum amount of oil I'll need for a job, then store it in a plastic storage bin. A little oil may leak, but it's contained.

BTW, as far as prepping for turning--- I also use both of my electric saws for this purpose. I ripped this green mulberry with the corded saw (no bandsaw):
Mulberry_Dissection.jpg

EDIT--- Oh! I forgot one of the main reasons I wanted (rationalized getting) the cordless one: I frequently do spindle turnings from small limbs (4-6"). I can't count the number of times I've driven by houses in the neighborhood after a major storm, where they have a small tree down. I occasionally throw it in the SUV after storms or during pruning season (for curbside pickings). Very convenient! (and, yes, don't forget to get permission... etc etc etc... legal disclaimer... blah blah blah...)

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I have this saw and like it a lot.
It's got plenty of power and costs about a third of the Makita.
Check the reviews!
Oh, and it's got an 18" bar too!

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I would say if you are going to go electric, just go buy a cheap one. I'm pretty sure they are all about the same. Most are proably made by the same people. For that price you can buy a real good Stihl gas chainsaw. I would go with the ms211, light weight and you can carry it anywhere you want. I would stick with a stihl in that price range. most other "cheap, homeowner" saws are made in china, and may not last as long. Stihl is made in VA beach. If you want to go cheaper, the Poulans from walmart and home depot are great for using just every so often. Dont put a big bar on them (nothing over 16"). You can even check craigslist and find one for around $50 or so. Dont give more then $50 for one used. They are everywhere and some people think they are worth over $100 used and they aren't.

gritz

New User
Robert
We can't run most power tools, especially a chain saw, after 4 PM on Saturday, or all day Sunday in my neighborhood. I needed an electric to prep turning blanks, so I bought one of the Lowes 14" Poulan saws on sale, and with a $25 discount card and paid net about $50. I heavily mis-used it for a few jobs and it suddenly died. Since the snout was a little flimsy, I took it back and swapped it with a few $ boot for the larger, stiffer, 16" one. It is a better saw, though a little awkwardly large. They are great inside, for a quick trim, or on days (or nights,) when I can't fire up the gas powered green and purple pawn-shop Poulan...which I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS