Glass for a Trophy Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
My son-in-law volunteered me to build a couple of trophy cases for my grandson's school. We're in the planning stages. These things will be big (7' tall x 6' wide) with a lot of glass. The doors will be sliding glass panels. All the track I've found is for 1/4" thick glass.

Any one know what kind of glass I need to look for? Something strong, this is going in a christian school with kids from kindergarten to 12th grade.

Here's a rough idea of what they will look like.

Trophy_Case2.jpg

Rick Doby

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I don't know the details ... but I'd go tempered at least (for safety) and maybe even some of that glass with a clear film to keep it from breaking a apart if broken. 1/4" seems too thin, maybe 3/8" or 1/2"?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
1/4 inch is pretty standard for that, safety glass is what you want, it is two thin pieces of glass bonded to a central mat of clear rubbery film. If it breaks the rubber holds it together so it doesn't send shards flying across the room.

I used to buy from PPG, Pittsburg Plate Glass. They should be in the phone book probably Winston-Salem. Or on the net.

It ain't cheap!

lottathought

New User
Michael
Just a thought.
It is going to be expensive if a large sheet of glass like that ever breaks.
It is also going to require thicker glass to begin with.
Perhaps you would want to go with some sort of break through the center...maybe a couple of breaks...I am thinking of some sort of adaptation similar to a Lawyer's Bookcase.

Just a thought

Touchwood

New User
Don
Just a thought.

I installed new sliding by-pass shower doors in our bathroom about a month ago.

These are frame-less doors for a full stall shower..not a tub shower. I special ordered them at HD for about $600. (their regular bypass doors are for tubs)

The glass is 10 mm thick, tempered with really cool transparent handles. That's between 3/8 and 7/16 thick. I had to get a neighbor help me lift them up onto the track..they are very heavy!!!:elvis:

I'm pretty sure the brand name is Sterling. It would be pretty easy to cover up the aluminum support structure with wood.

Other than that, the last time I used tempered glass I found a small glass shop in Garner with the best prices. Don't know if they're still around.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS