Gazebo Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Ok, so I started a new project for LOML.
I have had the plans in my office for several years. Blew off the dust, unrolled them out on the work bench, and away I go.
So here are the pictures of where I am at.

First is the frame work.

frame work gazebo.jpg

second just shows some of the 30 degree angles it is built of.
30 degree angles.jpg

Third shows the center roof gusset set up which holds the rafters.
center gusset gazebo.jpg

I will take more as I progress today. Oh what fun this will be to set the rafters by myself. :eusa_pray Yehaw.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Wifey also has wanted one for years. I promised to build her one if she could show me someone actually sitting in a gazebo:roll:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wifey also has wanted one for years. I promised to build her one if she could show me someone actually sitting in a gazebo:roll:
Women say things funny/ different from men. When was the last time you saw a naked women in public? But how many of us have had wives/ girlfriends say "I have nothing to wear!" They don't always say what they mean. I also agree, when was the last time you saw someone sitting in the yard in the gazabo? I don't ever remember seeing anyone in a gazabo, other than on the sales lot. Maybe she thinks it will be cute sitting in your yard. Next will come, "If it was screened in, I would use it more. Then, if it were in the sun/ shade (depending on which it isn't) I could enjoy it more." Never build a gazabo with posts in the ground. This way in about five years of non-use, it can be loaded onto a roll back for the next guy's wife. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Women say things funny/ different from men. When was the last time you saw a naked women in public? But how many of us have had wives/ girlfriends say "I have nothing to wear!" They don't always say what they mean. I also agree, when was the last time you saw someone sitting in the yard in the gazabo? I don't ever remember seeing anyone in a gazabo, other than on the sales lot. Maybe she thinks it will be cute sitting in your yard. Next will come, "If it was screened in, I would use it more. Then, if it were in the sun/ shade (depending on which it isn't) I could enjoy it more." Never build a gazabo with posts in the ground. This way in about five years of non-use, it can be loaded onto a roll back for the next guy's wife. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy!

That's more than a little bit funny. :lol: :lol: It's that Mars and Venus thing again, huh?

Chuck

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Great start John, keep us posted on your progress and I'll only view this thread when the LOML is not home. Lately she's been on an wanting a pool kick.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i built my 12 foot gazeebo about 15 years ago, while it dose not see much use it is handy when i want to get awy from the wife :eusa_thin

4yanks

New User
Willie
Looks like you're off to a good start. Did you make the center gusset, or did that come with a kit?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
i built my 12 foot gazeebo about 15 years ago, while it dose not see much use it is handy when i want to get awy from the wife :eusa_thin
Don't you mean With the wife?" Better not let her see this thread, or your goose is cooked. No more power tools for you young man! You've been a bad boy! Next you will have her thinking that WE are a bad influence, no way Jose.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
... Never build a gazabo with posts in the ground. This way in about five years of non-use, it can be loaded onto a roll back for the next guy's wife.

Thank You!! My niece just tapped me to design a deck extension, but with limitations on house structure and septic drainfields, etc, I asked her if a gazebo might not be better (she has a lot of yard away from the house not used). If that is what she decides, I will definitely keep that thought in mind!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Love this site!!

Go

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Never build a gazabo with posts in the ground. This way in about five years of non-use, it can be loaded onto a roll back for the next guy's wife. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy!

LOL! I'm actually considering building a gazebo as well. I've never done anything like this before. What's the best way to build the gazebo if not built into the ground? This may seem stupid but how do you make the structure level? Thanks!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Mark, the center gusset is hand built, no kit here. :eusa_whis Everything is off the set of plans that I have.
The authur/designer of these plans knew what he was doing,:icon_thum however with anything there were a few things left out, in my opinion. So I have taken and jutted down notes, incase I ever build another one. Or someone else builds one using these plans.
Example: in constructing the center spline for the center gusset bracket thingy, try to purchase dry 4x4 lumber. When I went to purchase my lumber from the borg, I had my material list and purchased what was on my list without any thought.:eusa_doh:
Then when it came time to make the center spline everything was going fine till I was fastening the gussets to the spline. Using 3 16d nails and glue, the nails pulled right out of the spline. :BangHead: The only thing I could think of was the water content in the 4x4 lumber was way too wet. :eusa_thin So I used 3 1/2 screws instead and all was fine.

pslamp32: Leveling actually is the easy part. Placing all the 6 posts in ground, angled the proper way and tweaked just right is critical and hair pulling, tense.

Purchasing straight and true lumber is another chore. Now this can be done with the #2 pine at the Borg, but it is hunting time.
I could have used fur, but didn't want to pay the extra $$$$

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Ok here are a few pics to show progression.

Oh BTW the LOML has been sitting in this gazebo every night after work.:lol: :lol: :lol: .

gazebo Pictures002.jpg

gazebo Pictures004.jpg

Actually I am well past this point I am about to finish up with the upper lattice panels. Today I will be wraping the roof with paper and start with the cedar shingles. Yes I said Cedar Shingles, I found a cheap source here locally.

Oh and get this now she wants a larger deck:BangHead: :roll:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Looking GREAT! Now to keep the LOML from seeing this, my project list already has me busy for the next 2 or 3 years! AWESOME WORK!!

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
This is cool !

LOML always gets herself inserted into the design phases, and in doing so limits the scope of my projects.

Later she always says something like, "it would have been nice if you had done this or that", which was in the original plan. :BangHead:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Oh man, that looks beautiful - I can see why you picked this plan.:icon_thum

You've gotten a lot of work done in 10 days. :)

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Oh BTW the LOML has been sitting in this gazebo every night after work.:lol: :lol: :lol:You know the rules- No pictures, didn't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS