Gazebo Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Updated Gazebo Construction

Progression Report:

My body rebelled against me for a couple of days. SO I had to slow down. But I have my pain meds again and I have been back at it. Yipee:icon_thum .

SO here we go with some up graded pictures.

This first one shows the upper lattice section. I liked this addition as it brought the opening down.

HPIM0850.jpg

This second one shows what I have been up to. I have started on the cedar shingles. This little device helps in keeping the rows aligned.

HPIM0851.jpg

Here is a better view of a completed side, and my device for getting up closer to the peak. It is 86" down the ridge line.

HPIM0848.jpg HPIM0849.jpg

Now I have the neighbors wanting me to build one for them.:eusa_thin Of course they have been checking up with me every few days and know what the materials cost me. I will bet my bottom dollar that they would freak out when I tell them what the labor amount would be.
It is time consuming putting the shingles up.

I have never done this before. Asphalt yes, but this no. So it is a learning experience as I go, But man I love it.:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: Updated Gazebo Construction

So it is a learning experience as I go, But man I love it.:icon_thum

Mack that looks GREAT! I know what you mean about lovin it, I get lost in the job when I am working on the kitchen, and all I do at work is think about the next one.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Man that is looking good! The little gazebo bird feeder to one side is a nice element.

LOML gets tired of me sharing pictures of nice projects people have done from this site. I am not sure if am going to risk showing her this one or not,,,, I'd bet my last dollar she would want one too.

Be sure to post a final photo.

-david

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
You are really giving me the fever to do one of those, that looks soooooo good!!! I know it isn't easy to build all that, and the cedar shingles are not that easy to do and look right, but you'd never know that is your first time for those. I can't wait to see the final pictures!!!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Thanks for the compliments.

Do not let the " fear of the unknown" stop you from doing what ever it is that you want.
Well over half the items that I build,or go after, are things and procedures that I have never done before. Sometimes I succeed, while others I don't do so good at.
That's why we are a group of fellow woodworkers. I ask questions of others and I use the internet allot. AND PICTURES, I luv PICTURES.

If anyone wants to tackle this project. I have the plans, and If I can figure out how to copy them, (they are large in size), I would be more than happy to provide them. I believe there is a place in town that can do it for me.

I will offer this; Cedar shingles are a chore. Not hard to do, but time intensive. If I was to build one of these for a customer,
Option 1: Asphalt shingles.
Option 2: (I wouldn't offer this, but if they asked);-) Cedar shingles
bump the price up dramatically.8-O 8-O

As far as cost, right now I am right at $1000.00, give or take. This can be done by one person, except for setting up the first set of rafters. You have to have 2 people, but other than that, one person can do it all.
Of course having 2 people it would go allot faster.

I have had allot of fun doing this project and have learned allot. :icon_thum :icon_thum

Here is a more recent picture. Oh and the Proof is in the picture, :lol: :lol:

jpg.gif

vc 2 gaz.jpg

Still left to do is to cap off the rakes and the top. Currently I am thinking of doing shingles up the rakes, as you would with normal shingles.
For the top the LOML wants a cupola. so I just might chew on that for a bit.:eusa_doh: :oops: :roll: :BangHead: :BangHead: .

Attachments

• 8 July VC.jpg
    8 July VC.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 153

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If [or should i say?] WHEN you do the kupala you may want to open up the peak of the roof and use venting on the underside of the kupola to let hot air flow out the top. keeps it a little cooler inside.:icon_thum good lookin project by the way.

fred p

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Good Idea Fred.
I do need some Ideas for a cupola. Anyone?
I am done with the shingles other than doing the ridges and the cupola.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
louvered copula with a copper standing ridge roof. i have some red wood 2x4's that i could plane down for the woood work if you want them they are in rough shape but plane down beautifuly. they were nailed down as decking so ther are nail holes every 2' but you shouldn't need peices that long anyway.

b4man

New User
Barbara
John,
You not only did a fine job on the Gazebo you have made your wife very happy as indicated by the look on her face. That's what I call making good use of time and money!:icon_sunn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS