G3 run out question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
A posted in another topic I'm just getting started in turning with my HF 12'' x 33-3/8''.
So far everything seems to be OK with the lathe, except for a very slight misalignment between the head and tail stock.

So, this question deals with the Nova G3-D (Delta) that I picked up at my Winston-Salem Woodworking Shop:
With the G3 chuck mounted as specified in the instruction sheet there is a very noticeable run out or wobble in the chuck. I have no way to measure the amount of the run out, but it's enough so that there is no doubt that it's doing it. Maybe even as much as a 32nd, or at least a 64th. When the drive spur is mounted that run out is not apparent.

So, is there some trick that I'm missing about the alignment of the chuck, so is it likely that it's a defective part?

Thanks... Ken.

Last edited:

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I had problems with the insert being out on my G-3. That would be the first thing I checked. Get a cheap dial indicator from HF.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
I had problems with the insert being out on my G-3. That would be the first thing I checked. Get a cheap dial indicator from HF.

Thanks Nate.
This model has no insert, it screws directly to the spindle. If that is the cause of the out of alignment then it sounds like the whole chuck needs to be replaced?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I dont have the g3 but a few years back i had a nova compact chuck. it screwed directly to the spindle. It came with a washer. If I used the washer all was well if not it wobbled. try finding a shim washer [not your run of the mill BORG washer] one that is made to use as a spacer. Any machine shop should have one. I was told it had to do with the way the spindle was made. the spacer gave a flat surface to mate with the chuck. I thought the explanation was bunk but it did make the difference. YMMV

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Thanks for that tip Fred, I'll see if one can be found around here. :thumbs_up

Edit: Got the names mixed up!
I noticed the mistake as soon as the reply was posted, but we're having a thunder storm here in T-Ville and my net went down for a couple.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
If you have someone near (or the store) you can try it on their lathe. I think the idea of a shim washer may be the answer. I do not remember if it was a HF lathe or not but I have read forums where Patriot Chucks had a problem due to the spindle being just a little too long on one brand of lathe.
I have four nova chucks and two was made for Jet, there seems to be a noticeable difference in fit and finish from my other Novas. They work fine, just a matter of aesthetics. It may be Jet, Delta, or others may provide different specs. I believe the jaws on the G3D are slightly different than a standard Nova G3 (deeper and serrated at the bottom).
Mike

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
If you have someone near (or the store) you can try it on their lathe. I think the idea of a shim washer may be the answer. I do not remember if it was a HF lathe or not but I have read forums where Patriot Chucks had a problem due to the spindle being just a little too long on one brand of lathe.
I have four nova chucks and two was made for Jet, there seems to be a noticeable difference in fit and finish from my other Novas. They work fine, just a matter of aesthetics. It may be Jet, Delta, or others may provide different specs. I believe the jaws on the G3D are slightly different than a standard Nova G3 (deeper and serrated at the bottom).
Mike
Thanks Mike.
My plan for now is to take it back to the store tomorrow and give it a try there.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Thanks for those links Ken and Tommy. :thumbs_up

The only bad thing about links like these two is that you always see lots of other stuff you want. :wink_smil

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
An additional question on this alignment issue is coming up now:

While doing practice turning on cheap 2x lumber I'm getting a result that seems to me to be an issue with the lathe itself. In the picture below it may be hard to see, but the turning produces a finish that's fairly smooth on about 2/3 of the surface while the remaining 1/3 is rough and splintery. I worked on the section circled in red for about 5 minutes making evermore lite passes and while the smooth portion steadily improved, the rough portion did not.

This may just be happening because of my inexperience, but I'm wondering if it relates in anyway to the original question? Could this be a problem with the lathe having some run out, or is it just me?

Thanks... Ken

2nkudls.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
it may be the wood. try some hard wood. contrary to popular belief harder wood turns much easier than soft wood.

swcrawford

New User
swcrawford
Ken,

I found this thread while searching for a resolution for the same problem you have. I have the same lathe and the same Nova chuck (without an insert, made for the Delta lathe). After noticing the same fairly bad wobble I have been searching for an answer to the problem for several days.

I did not observe any wobble in the spindle itself or in a mounted drive spur. I also did not see any wobble in the face plate that came with the machine, which should have been the clue for me to figure out the problem. After reading FredP's reply, I went out to the shop and put the faceplate back on and noticed that it bottomed out against the flat shoulder at the rear of the spindle. I put the chuck back on and, using a flashlight, saw that the Nova chuck did not bottom out!

For giggles, I bored a one inch hole in a small scrap of hardboard, basically making myself a cheap-o washer. Viola! Practically no more wobble! I attribute what little was left to the inaccuracy in the thickness of the hardboard and/or whatever manufacturing tolerances are in the chuck itself or maybe the Chinese bearings?

Anyway, the point is that FredP is absolutely correct. The spindle on this lathe is just a smidge longer than the Nova chuck was apparently designed for. I plan to get myself a good flat spacer washer to use with this chuck.

As to your other question about the 2x lumber, I'm just a beginner, but I can attest to how smoothly hardwood turns as opposed to softwood. I also read about cutting blanks from cheap pine for practice and tried it out. I can never get it very smooth, even with freshly sharpened tools. On the other hand, some bartlett pear pieces I got from a tree my father had cut down turns very nicely. Smooth as silk. I wish I had saved more of it than I did.

Thanks all for helping me get my new chuck running wobble-free!

Happy turning,
Shawn

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Welcome to NCWW Shawn and thanks for that input.

I was supposed to take mine into the store yesterday but got sidetracked, maybe today that can happen. If they have that size shim washer it would be great but if not then the Fastenal website shows that they have them so I'll check with my local store. Of course they only sell them by the bag. ($10.10)

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Hope you can find a good steel washer/shim at a reasonable price. I think the plastic washers are mainly made to assist people in removing a chuck or other items. I would think they might deform easily and the hardboard would provide just as good a short term fix. Many people use a wooden spacer with a screw chuck to decrease the distance the screw goes into the blank.

JMHO but as to the 2X4 for practice, it does give you good feedback. A nice smooth cut and you know you are doing it right…on the other hand a torn out cut and you know you need to make adjustments. That said, the variation in your picture may be due to changes in the grain of the wood (like you will get around a knot) since you got smooth cuts on some sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS