Frugal Buffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Two different possibilities (probably old) to see if anyone has tried them for buffing on the lathe. How did they work or not work for you?
First is using a drill with an angle attachment and using small buffing atuomotive pads?
Second, just using a cloth folded with maybe BLO? and using by hand with pumice and rottenstone?

Frugally yours,
Mike

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I watched a Richard Raffan video once where he was doing spindle work and he would give them a quick rub (while still spinning) with his "nasty old rag" that had oil on it. I think he was really just trying to show how smooth he was getting the wood with a skew, not suggest this was a good final finish technique, but it looked good. Be very careful not to put too much oil on a spinning piece of wood. There is a stripe on the ceiling of my gaarage that illustrates what can happen...

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Andy, yep, been there done that. Actually up the wall, I don’t have a ceiling.

There may be some other lubricant than BLO,…. mineral oil, mineral spirits, paraffin oil, liquid bees wax…just something to dampen the pumice or rottenstone as it comes in powder form. I am not necessarily looking for a BLO finish. It will probably be shellac or poly underneath. Never done this so if I know what won’t work I will be ahead of the game.

Thanks,
Mike

Dragon

New User
David
Coming from a "turner-to-be" as soon as I can spring for some tools, I'll let ya know what I find that works. I'm a consumate experimenter and sometimes "field engineer" as my photo gallery can attest. Looking forward to trying out some new things......:eusa_danc

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've had some success using a buffing pad on my drill while the piece is spinning on the lathe. The results would probably be much better if I had better wax (currently using Minwax paste wax), but they've turned out fairly well so far. :eusa_thin

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Coming from a "turner-to-be" as soon as I can spring for some tools, I'll let ya know what I find that works. I'm a consumate experimenter and sometimes "field engineer" as my photo gallery can attest. Looking forward to trying out some new things......:eusa_danc

No you can say to the ways of the spinny machine, turn from evil thoughts you must

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Jeff goes to a lot of trouble to get round wood square and it annoys him when we return it to the proper geometry. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS