French polish: work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Here is a post in follow up. I followed Jeff Jewitt's recipe from his book Finishing. Highly recommended.
Don't be fooled though. This picture was taken before the mineral oil was removed. I can tell all the pores have been filled though and I think I will still have a nice glossy finish when done. Ill also post the final image.
DSC_0091.JPG

View image in gallery

Briefly:
trans tint
gel stain
blo with rottenstone
with muslin bound wool batting "rubber" as they say.
1lb cut seedlac shellac
mineral oil to lubricate.

More to it of course but those are the general ingredients.
Next time I'll skip the gel stain and add the second trans tint color to the BLO.

Could be an addicting finish...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Looking good John, I too like to french; polish that is.:gar-La;:gar-La; What kind of wood is it? How about a shot straight on so we can see the grain pattern. I am close to putting a finish on my walnut secretary and I am using siam seedlac shellac. I'll spray 3 - 4 coats then top with lacquer.

Mike

02blues

New User
john
:rotflm:Thats what your (walnut) secretary said too! ; Here is the only other shot I have right now. The top is made of two mahogany boards glued up. One is a little more interested. I like seedlac too. I am a one horse finish kind of guy. (and I don't look forward too it).

PS: That high boy is amazing. I am scared of case work!

Looking good John, I too like to french; polish that is.:gar-La;:gar-La; What kind of wood is it? How about a shot straight on so we can see the grain pattern. I am close to putting a finish on my walnut secretary and I am using siam seedlac shellac. I'll spray 3 - 4 coats then top with lacquer.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors