Fly Leaf Table WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Thought I'd post this now even though it may take a while to finish.
I started with a dining table fly leaf that had some damaged trim. You can often find these at second hand/ recycle stores for a buck or two. They make very nice hall tables and if you find one that you can make to match your DR table it becomes a coffee service or buffet plate table. All I have to add are legs, apron, trim and the matching finish.

Remove the hardware

Fly_Leaf_Table_1_.JPG

Cut off the existing apron to get a flat bottomed slab

Fly_Leaf_Table_2_.JPG

Cut off existing edge molding (I'd never match it)

Fly_Leaf_Table_3_.JPG

Joint other 2 edges and square up the panel

Fly_Leaf_Table_4_.JPG

Next, I'll make some edge nosing, BUY some apron trim (rope maybe), build or buy some legs, make the apron then put it all together.

Joe

sapwood

New User
Roger
Joe, it's always a pleasure to see pixs of your projects and more importantly the jigs you use :eusa_clap Thanks for sharing!

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, what a cool idea. I would have never thought of something like that. I can wait to see how it turns out for you.
Now I can give my wife a legitimate reason to go thrift store shopping.
Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bid on some legs on ebay and won these. I also bid on some unfinished legs but a couple of guys got into a bidding war and the last I looked they had the bid higher than Rockler's regular price! Anyway, I got these 4 for $20.00 plus $14.00 shipping.

ebay_legs.JPG

I laid out & cut the aprons and transition blocks. They're glued up now. I made the edge molding yesterday using the lower profile of a handrail bit and glued them on.

Skirt_setup.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS