Fixed base/plunge router advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm1595

New User
worm
I bought a Bosch 1617 fixed base router for my router table and now I want a separate handheld router to keep from having to pull my Bosch out of my table when hand routing is needed. I am going to go with a combo router pack that incudes both fixed and plunge bases. Give me your opinions please on which to get.......Dewalt ?......PC ?.......Bosch ?......

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I like Milwaukee. I bought an extra base for my 5625 so I could drop it out (one button) from my router table and use it hand-held.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm a big fan of my Dewalt 618 combo. Often you can find it with 3 bases, plunge, standard fixed and fixed with a D handle.

Dave:)

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I own several of the PC 690 combo kits - They're solid, and kind of industry standards - Plus they can be had pretty cheap - Check out CPO Porter Cable for deals

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the DeWalt 618 3-base kit as well, very happy with it. I went back and forth between the Bosch 1617 two-base kit and the DeWalt, finally settled on the DeWalt. I liked the plunge action better on the Bosch, but the fixed base on the DeWalt has much lower center of gravity and felt more stable. The D-base for the DeWalt was the tiebreaker.

PC is definitely the standard in routers. Hard to go wrong with them. Like Joe, I have the Milwaukee 5625 in my router table, but I don't have a second base (yet...). As you can see, lots of options. The DeWalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Milwaukee and even the Craftsman have consistently taken the top spots in magazine router reviews, only the order varies. And, you'll probably end up with 4-5 routers eventually (one for the table, two for dovetails, one that you use for roundovers so you can leave the bit in, one for trimming laminate etc.), so no point in sweating it :rolf: Buy whichever one is on sale :tool:

worm1595

New User
worm
I was at Lowes today and I too liked the Dewalt set better than the Bosch. I liked the PC too but it is a bit more dough. I agree with the "Bas" totally about the lower center of gravity on the Dewalt. I think for $219.00 I will like the Dewalt set pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS