First real project completed - Walnut Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their suggestions, help and ideas over the last few months. Without this forum there is no way that I would have been at this point right now; from tool selection to design help I took it all in.

The details:

This bed was built out of 2" walnut slabs for the legs and 4/4 rough sawn walnut for everything else. The rails were doubled up 4/4 boards and the panels were 3/4" final thickness boards. I was able to make the side panels and foot board out of a single board each leaving the headboard as the only edge jointed panel.

The bed is constructed of tongue and groove panel construction for the headboard, foot board and side rails with the bottom of the panel glued to the bottom rail and the rest of the panel being allowed to expand and move with the humidity changes. These panels are joined to the legs with M&T and bed bolts to allow for "easy" relocation.

The mattress is supported by a box spring, supported by 1" thick poplar slats spanning the width sitting on 1" angle irons that I rabbetted flush into the bottom side rail. I also put short legs in the middle of 3 slats (one at the top, middle and bottom of the box-spring) to keep the center of the bed supported.

The bed was sanded progressively with a 5" ROS ending with 220-grit and finish sanded by hand with the grain to smoothen things out. I then used Rubio Monocoat (boiled, catalyzed oil) http://www.monocoat.us/ to finish the bed.

It is tough to see any real figure in most of the photos so I need to get a better lighting setup but you can get an idea of the figure in the lone photo of the foot board.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Walnut_Bed_8-13-10.jpg

IMG_21711.JPG

IMAGE_008.jpg

IMG_22201.JPG

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
FIRST real project completed? :eek: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Absolutely stunning! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing. :icon_thum

gritz

New User
Robert
Unique design...never seen anything quite like it. You have a good eye for propertion style and finish.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Unique design...never seen anything quite like it. You have a good eye for propertion style and finish.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the design/style; this was based on a bed that Pottery Barn sells. However, going from a photo to a bed presented enough of a challenge, the next bed will be of my own design...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
VERY, VERY nice, David. :eusa_danc If you hadn't told us it was your first project, I don't think any of us would have guessed it. Can't wait to see the accompanying pieces: night stands, dresser, chest, etc. :gar-Bi

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done David :icon_thum since you have joined you have not been hesitant to tap into the collective knowledge here. Judging from the completed bed you have gotten all the answers you sought. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now that is one great looking bed!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Betcha it will last generations and still look great and will easily endure the test of time.

Well done. (BTW It looks like it could weigh a ton!)

Wayne

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Now that is one great looking bed!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Betcha it will last generations and still look great and will easily endure the test of time.

Well done. (BTW It looks like it could weigh a ton!)

Wayne

Thanks to all for the kind replies!

Wayne, it isn't light but since it is a bit awkward to carry it probably feels heavier than it is. I would estimate that it is around 150 lbs excluding the mattress and box spring.

One interesting note: we previously had our mattress and box spring on the standard metal frame (angle irons) that it came with; it had two cross-members with one center leg for support. You would think that since the box spring is rigid and there were two cross-members that it was properly supported. The reality is that since I now have it supported with ~15 slats and three center legs (head, center, and foot) the mattress sleeps MUCH better. I am happy about this but surprised as it wasn't a cheap mattress / box-spring to begin with (Kingsdown).

On to the next project...a modern style QSRO high chair for friends expecting a baby (this one has a definite timeline; I mean due date:roll:...) photos will follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS