First Pen, NO laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Well, here's my first stab at pen turning. There are a few flaws, but overall, I think it turned out ok, for a beginner. This will probably be my shop pen. Sorry for the picture quality (there are so many things I need to work on!:roll:).
Critiques welcomed...
Thanks again to Gator for all his guidance.

Attachments

• FirstPen1.jpg
    FirstPen1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 180

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Pappy, looks great to me. My first effort would probably resemble an axe handle. Good job!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Looks great from here, your on your way.
A suggestion for pictures.
To show as much of the pen as possible, frame it diagonally in the viewer.
With image resizer there won't be a need for cropping.
The other is to put as much lite as you can on the pen.
The camera flash with usually leave a hot spot or a "flash line" on the finish or the components.
Daylight works well.
Lets see another

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like a nice pen! What wood did you use? Pens are a nice, quick project. Keep it up, you'll be making works of art in no time!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Randy -

Great looking pen. If I had known I was that good of a teacher I'd open an acadamy and charge big bucks.:rolf::rolf::rolf:

But, then I have to remember that no matter wnat or how you teach, if you don't have a great student, it is all for naught.

George

cskipper

Cathy
That looks great! Did you have fun making it? I hadn't turned a pen in over a year until Saturday - forgot how much I enjoyed it.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. The wood is cedar. My tutor (Gator), told me it would be easy for a dummy like me to turn. It was more fun than I imagined. Can't wait to let some more chips fly!

Randy -

Great looking pen. If I had known I was that good of a teacher I'd open an acadamy and charge big bucks.:rolf::rolf::rolf:

George

George,
I'm glad I got my "learnings" before you started charging big bucks:lol::lol:. I hope you don't make those big fees retroactive. I'll have to take out a second mortgage:crybaby2:!
Thanks for all your help.

This is indeed, a slippery slope you folks have started me down:eusa_booh.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It looks excellent. You fit looks perfect, and the finish is nice and even. What type of a finish did you use?
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
It looks excellent. You fit looks perfect, and the finish is nice and even. What type of a finish did you use?
Dave:)

Thanks Dave. I used the HUT wax stick thingys....My most excellent tutor, Gator, used it when he was learnin' me. I figured if it was good enough for George, it was good enough for me:icon_thum.
Take care,

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Looks like a professional job to me. If I weren't so much into furniture I might would try my hand at it, but where would I find room for a lathe? Good job PappyJ. Lorraine

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Your pen looks very good. GREAT JOB!!!! Oh yes Randy slippery it is and down the road of pen turning You Will go!! :rolf: :rolf:

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Looks better than my first one, great job. You are hooked now, enjoy the slide down the slippery slope.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Nice job for a first try, your style is good, nice and slender. Most first-timers, like myself, end up with a corset style, great job. Jim

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Pappy, the pen body looks to be round on all sides, but the top and bottom. Seems right to me:icon_thum

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone, for all the positive feedback and encouragement! It is so refreshing to be involved with such a great group of folks. I love NCWWer:eusa_danc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS