First natural edged bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I scored some free cypress from a very nice gentleman today (via craigslist). Two logs, about 10" wide and 4' or 5' long. There was also a 4"x6"x5' plank that he had milled to use as a mantle. Fortunately for me, he never got around to it and it sat in his shed for 10 years. He was very happy to have it out of his way and I got some free wood. :eusa_danc I told him I was a woodworker and he asked if I would turn a bowl for him and his wife. Of course I said I'd be delighted to do so.

Once I got them back to the shop, I noticed that they were VERY dry and it definitely made it harder to turn. I wanted to go deeper and thinner on the walls, but the recess cracked in two spots at the very beginning of hollowing it out. :swoon: So I had to take my sweet time to keep from cracking it off the chuck. It was a little agrivating as you could cut it with a butter knife. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Once I was done, I glued the cracks back down and finished it with BLO. Most of the bark came off during sawing, but I still had a little left to make it a "semi" natural edged bowl. Thanks for looking. :icon_thum

tp_4.jpg

tp_3.jpg

tp_1.jpg

tp_2.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Trent,

Way cool man that is next on my list of things to do. I have some cherry out back. If your up this way stop by and I give you a chunck.. Good looking bowl

Mark

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice score with all the wood and a very nice looking bowl. I'm playing around with a Walnut natural edge bowl.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Free wood, my all time favorite species!
I'm always glad to make a little something to a "wood sponsor". Good on ya for that!

That is some good looking wood no matter the cost.
As for the cracking, I may have an idea of what I want to do with a piece of wood, but the wood always has the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS