Finishing using wood dyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need advice on using wood dyes as I have not been happy trying stains.

I have dyes that mix with either water or alcohol and would appreciate any advice anyone could share.

Larry R. Tysinger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The only dyes I have used are transtint, and I have only done it 3 times now.

My first pass was a total failure. I sealed the wood with shellac and then diluted the dye with water, then sprayed a top coat. Results - HORRIBLE.

Second round - Seal wood with shellac, mix dye with Target coatings waterbased finish. Sprayed on coats until depth of color desired achieved then clear coated with 4 more coats. I did this on pine. Color and tone was excellent. None of the problems that I have experienced using pigment stain in the past.

I think my screwup on the first round was not spraying the diluted dye straight on the wood. I was trying to avoid raising the grain and sanding so my laziness caused me a lot of after the fact pain.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I have been experimenting with the TransTint dyes as well. What I learned this weekend is that they function much better as toners than alone. I kept having problems with the dye running when topcoating with shellac or lacquer. This weekend I did a project where I added the dye as a toner directly to the shellac and applied multiple coats with no problems. My situation may be different since I don't spray finish. Generally I wipe or brush.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been experimenting with the TransTint dyes as well. What I learned this weekend is that they function much better as toners than alone. I kept having problems with the dye running when topcoating with shellac or lacquer. This weekend I did a project where I added the dye as a toner directly to the shellac and applied multiple coats with no problems. My situation may be different since I don't spray finish. Generally I wipe or brush.

So is toning what I was doing? I struggle with the difference in terms with staining, toning, and glazing.

striker

New User
Stephen
I have used Mosers water soluable dyes a time or two. Generally the steps that i have used are as follows:

Sand to 220 grit

Dampen piece to raise grain then sand affected areas. Don't sand too much or you'll be back at square one.

Apply dye. I mop it on with a rag maintaining a wet edge but spraying is a viable option. Bare in mind end grain will drink up the dye so you may want to paint a coat of shellac on the end grain to prevent it from getting too dark prior to applying the dye.

Chances are your piece won't look like much until you put a coat of finish on it. I put a coat of thinned BLO followed by shellac.

Hope you find this helpful
Stephen

Here's an example..........

clock_bse_dtl.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS