Finishing issue on Doug fir trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnlaw

New User
mtnlaw
Hello, this is my first post on joining.

I am building a house and our Doug fir trim is going up. We did a partial timberframe using Doug fir posts & beams. My issue is this: we had the trim prefinished by the company that also did the prefinishing on our exterior fiber cement siding and Miratec trim. They did a great job on that. But the fir trim is a big disappointment. First, the wood itself is much lighter than the timberframing. I know the timbers have aged and darkened since they were put up 6 months ago. I really wanted the darker look for the trim. The company used a water-borne poly called Durathane, two coats. It is rough and shiny looking in many places (maybe raised the grain?). I'm really disappointed and don't know what I can do to rectify the appearance.

Does water-borne poly inhibit the natural darkening process on Doug fir? I don't want that. Is there anything I can apply over the current topcoat? Maybe a combination stain/poly like Zar Plus? Can I darken the finish?

Thanks for any help.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome mtnlaw,

First thing though, you may want to go into the forums and introduce yourself through the "who we are".

As far as waterborne poly goes, I have always found that it goes on clear and stays that way, where as regular poly goes on and gives a yellowish/slightly amber color that I personally like.

I think that you should be able to go over water/ poly with any other type of poly, but I'm not sure. If you have a product in mind (Zar-Plus) then you should try to contact them and ask them about the compatability of there product with what you have now.

Zar's ph #. is 1-800-UGL-LABS and their website is:

http://www.ugl.com/zarWoodFinishing/zarWoodStain.php

Good Luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS