Finished SWMBO's Easter present

Status
Not open for further replies.

gad5264

New User
Grant
Last night while watching tv with my wife she said she would like to have a new cabinet for her bathroom to replace the cheap Sauder cabinet that she currently has. She uses the cabinet to house a CD player, CD's, wash cloths and bath lotions. So since I had a half a day of vacation today, and she is not going to be home until late I decided to stop and get a piece of oak plywood and see what I could do before tomorrow. This is the result of an afternoon in the garage with no interuptions. She is going shopping with her mom on Saturday so I will finish it and apply the back of the cabinet and hopefully the Easter bunny will get a nice big smile on Sunday morning.

BathCab1.JPGBathCab4.JPGBathCab7.JPG

Stained with 2 coats of Minwax "Golden Oak" and 2 coats of wipe on poly

BathCab10.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: SWMBO's Easter present

All that done in less than a full day!!!!! I just managed to saw and put together the carcase for my TV stand today. :eusa_doh: Still have to make a run to pick up some oak for the top, faceframe and trim! Your LOYL will be putting yours to use before I even start finishing mine. (Well.....us old retired guys do work sort of slow. Especially here in the south!:slap: )

By the way Grant, in another thread I was asking about attaching face frames and/or solid wood banding to 3/4" ply. It sounds like the easiest method for me would be biscuits. Do you mind me asking you how you did your faceframe on this cabinet?

Great work and progress you got there!

Wayne

gad5264

New User
Grant

Canuck, the vertical stiles on my cabinet are pocket holed to the sides. If you look inside of the cabinet you can see the pocket holes which will be filled in and sanded down. The rails are just glued and brad nailed on this piece. On other pieces I normally use an edge banding router bit to cap the plywood.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Thanks Grant.

I never even considered pocket holes! :eusa_doh: I will have to keep that in mind as an option.

(The guys here also mentioned the edge banding router bit set to me last nite.)

Thanks for the reply and I will have to play catchup tomorrow....after I cut grass and clean up the yard. NC springtime has me pulling out the lawn gear twice weekly now!:BangHead:

Wayne

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson

Not bad at all. I could never get that much work done in one day. Maybe one of these days. Nice cabinet!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Nice looking cabinet Grant, I like your design. What finish are you going to use on it?

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Grant, You are a work machine! I spent all afternoon in the shop and only managed to dimension and cut the stock for my next project.

I can't compete, there is no way I could work that fast without suffering a major screwup (suffered a minor one today working slow). :lol: :lol:

Guess you got your work cut out for you tomorrow, huh?

Finished project pics are anticipated!

Chuck

MarkW

New User
Mark

Excellent work ! I wish I could turn out that kind of work half as fast as you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS