Finished at last, Bed side tables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Well here they are at last, it's been a long haul from when Jeff started the clock on 2/12/2007! There have been many projects along the way, but at least these are installed next to the bed they were designed for.

Finish is one coat of Target coatings WB amber shellac followed by two coats of their Oxford USL WB laquer. The finish off the gun was superb and anly needa light rub down with wire wool and wax.

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
My wife and I got to see these up close at the picnic... they are awesome! Great work David. :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
David:

Those look like some door prizes from the picnic. :gar-Bi Seriously, nice work. That does not sound slow to me. I have a shop stool I started 4 years ago and it still isn't done.

Doug

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Blimey, they are finished?

What is the world coming to? Hath that unmentionable place frozen over? Have pigs learned to fly????:nah:

Having seen them at the picnic, I must say they are stunning! I love the finish.Congrats on finally getting them completed!

David, I am curious about your finishing. Satin or gloss? When you sprayed the USL, did it look like orange peel and level out? How did you know you had your adjustments right when spraying? How many coats did you spray? What did you use to rub it out?

Sorry for all the questions. I am still learning the spray thing. I am getting better, but am definitively a receptacle for any and all information I can get.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
After me also seeing them, first hand at the picnic, I can truly appreciate the time and effort that you put into these beautiful tables. The finish turned out wonderfully!:eusa_danc

(By the way, the LOML commented on the handle design several times on the way home from the picnic.)

You done real good David.

Congrats on the fine work!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well worth the wait, David!
Awesome design and beautiful match for the bed :icon_thum

Of course, if you flipped the pulls 180º they would look like this :eusa_ange, instead of this :happy8:

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Blimey, they are finished?

What is the world coming to? Hath that unmentionable place frozen over? Have pigs learned to fly????:nah:

Having seen them at the picnic, I must say they are stunning! I love the finish.Congrats on finally getting them completed!

David, I am curious about your finishing. Satin or gloss? When you sprayed the USL, did it look like orange peel and level out? How did you know you had your adjustments right when spraying? How many coats did you spray? What did you use to rub it out?

Sorry for all the questions. I am still learning the spray thing. I am getting better, but am definitively a receptacle for any and all information I can get.

It was Satin top coat and the Amber shellac.

I established the settings on the last project and wrote it on the can!

I have 25 - 30 psi at the gun with the trigger slightly pulled. The air flow control on the gun is wide open. The material control for the shellac is open 1 full turn and for the usl it is 1.5 turns.

Yes, the finish looks orange peely for about 15 mins after spraying but quickly levels out. It shouldn't really look milky at this stage, that generally means you are abit too heavy, but it still flattens out - this stuff really is the best I have found, certainly for a 3 time sprayer like me! On the verticals for the legs I turned the fan size down so reduced the material flow to compensate. I sprayed one coat of the Shellac to seal the cherry and bring the grain out. I rubbed that down very gently with 400G just to remove a couple of dust nibs. I sprayed two coats of the top coat within 2 hrs of each other not rubbing down between the coats. The coats were fully wet coats and on the verticals was close to running, but not quite unless I inadvertently sprayed the same area twice. With this stuff I have found that 70 Deg is a minimum and that a full wet coat is necessary to avoid a "dry" coat and a rough feel to the finish. They do say that unless you are in grave danger of a run then you're not putting enough on! I would say that being on the safe side and trying to add very light coats to build the finish is the wrong approach with this stuff or you will be constantly rubbing down because of the rough feel, but actually there is not enough material to rub down! If you wanted to add a third coat you could, but I am not sure it needs it. Jeff over at Target says that two coats is normally enough.

I was absolutely astounded by the finish from the gun, it was what I have been searching for for years. A perfectly flat finish that required no other treatment other than a coat of wax to give that "slippery" feel that we all like so much. I put one coat of wax on the outside of the drawer backs and sides and nothing on the inside at all.

So far the drawers have not moved despite the recent weather changes. I am hoping that the choice of QSWO for the sides, combined with plywood for the runners will stop any problems.

DavidF

New User
David
Well worth the wait, David!
Awesome design and beautiful match for the bed :icon_thum

Of course, if you flipped the pulls 180º they would look like this :eusa_ange, instead of this :happy8:

Roger

They would Roger that's for sure, I'd have "happy knobs" The design was done that way because of the look of the lower knob when the bottom drawer was open and the knob viewed from behind - it's all in the detail:gar-Bi

DavidF

New User
David
Just for comparison, this was my original CAD drawing - pretty close I would say....

indirect_light.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that looks great David. Although the legs appear to be sticking out a bit on the top, but nothing you can't fix with a couple of quick slices on the table saw. The pull also appears to be broken :rolf:

You certainly are very close to your original drawing, that alone is impressive. Beautiful design, great execution. I wouldn't even call it "modern", more "classic". These would look good anywhere.

DavidF

New User
David
Wow, that looks great David. Although the legs appear to be sticking out a bit on the top, but nothing you can't fix with a couple of quick slices on the table saw. The pull also appears to be broken :rolf:

You certainly are very close to your original drawing, that alone is impressive. Beautiful design, great execution. I wouldn't even call it "modern", more "classic". These would look good anywhere.

With the legs I thought it would be difficult getting them "exactly" flush with the top so made them long and will use a flush cut saw from Veritas to slice them off:rotflm:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
David,

Simply outstanding:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum.

Dan C.

dozer

Mike
David, Those turned out great. I really like the contemporary styling and your execution of it is just fantastic.

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Awesome work!! :icon_thum:icon_thum When I saw these at the picnic I knew they would turn out to be special. and I was right! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I agree with everyone else. When they were displayed at the picnic I could not wait to see the finished project. They turned out great and the self design factor makes them that much more appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS