Finding large stock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
I'm a fairly experienced woodworker and carver with a conundrum - I want to break into carving large billets or logs (12" or larger diameter - 3 to 6' lengths) and I've got the proper equipment to get going - except the wood... (minor problem to be sure)

So, can anyone help me out with:
A. Finding stock - how to locate dealers/etc who can supply the raw materials
B. Delivery - ideas? I'm without the means to get the stock to my shop right now and frankly I don't think I can wrangle a raw piece that size until a fair amount of material is off it

I'm not picky at this point - I need to "fly some wood" at first to get my experience level up to snuff with the larger sculpture before I narrow on specific species - plus I'm guessing that availability will dictate what I'm working with to some degree. Poplar seems like a decent choice for this area, but I'm interested to see what you all have come across.

Many thanks!
Cris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might contact a few tree removal companies in your area and see if they would cut you some logs to length. They might even deliver them as a way to get rid of them. Something in the 12" dia. isn't any good as a saw log, but is too large to chip. The Arborist I use takes a lot of his log sections to a guy who does chainsaw carving. He ends up with a carving or two, and gets rid of his waste in the process. Don't expect to find that size stock dried, very few folks will deal with the time involved with drying stock that thick. Plus the checking adds character to the piece down the road.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

I could probably help you out... do you have a trailer? call me @ 919-691-5081

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm a fairly experienced woodworker and carver with a conundrum - I want to break into carving large billets or logs
Many thanks!
Cris

Chris, are these logs large enough?

Scott_and_six_foot_logv2.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I see you are in Knightdale. Craigslist is your friend. I have seen tons (literally) of logs given away. ~1' gum would be great and that's not hard to find. Watch the "Free" and "Materials" sections for "free firewood". A lot of the time, the "firewood" is still standing or just blown over.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would also send a PM to Jack Murdock (saw4you). He is in Rolesville but he might be able to help with delivery too.

CohibaCris

New User
Cris Rogers
In the interests of saying thanks and as an update, it looks like I'll be carving into some stock this coming weekend - Scott thanks for the tip; Jack and I should be connecting this week.
(kicking myself wishing I'd spoken up sooner...:BangHead: )

CR - wishin I was carvin (stuck at the airport)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors