Finally Made It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Thanks to Steve and a couple of others on Woodnet, I was able to finally get things sorted out and here I am.

I have been a long time member of Woodnet back to the days when it was a dial up BBS system. While much of my time is spent on Woodnet, I am also active on Wood Magazine's forums, WoodCentral and a couple of others.

I have never been a true professional woodworker but I have been very close to commercial shops. My grandfather got me started sweeping up his basement shop when I was about five. The grammer school I attended had a woodshop as did the junior high school. My college interests were mechanical engineering and, strange as it may seem, economics. For a couple of summers I worked in a marine service yard as a finisher on yachts. I had a small RAS based shop and a bunch of tools from my father. The shop was located in my father in law's basement. He was an oldtime machinest who always said the " if it can't be fixed with sledge hammer and/or a welding torch, throw it out". He and I made quite a pair. Since then I have added to the RAS with the expected full shop machinery.

My best friend and sailboat racing partner had a small five to six man cabinet shop in the days of formica kitchen cabinets. He wanted to expand and I put up some financing on the condition that I could mess around in the shop. The shop grew to over 30 people. At its height, we had 10-12 woodworkers, 3 "master" woodworkers, 10 or so in the upholtery shop, two full time finishers and a couple of installers. We developed a partnership with a high end interior and furniture designer and manufactured both a line of semi-custom furniture and custom furniture aimed at a high end clientele. I was sort of a silent partner and continued to work full time for a major computer company. I spent a lot of time in the shop however, and learned from everyone, particularly the finishers. The shop was finally sold to the designer's company in the early 1990's. We made a lot of neat stuff for a lot of neat folks.

Off and on I taught woodworking and ran classes for folks who purchased stationary woodworking machines. I also belonged to, and wrote articles for, a small, local woodworking club. Finishing tends to get most of my on-line time.

After retiring for the first time in 1992 I was persuaded to run a company located in Asheville. I did that for five years sort of commuting to NYC every weekend. I retired again in 1998.

I moved from outside NYC--not far from David Gillie's home area--in 2003 and built a house in a new community outside Southport. Southport is at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, down river from Wilmington. My shop is somewhat smaller now as I share the garage. All my stuff is on wheels so I can move it to get the cars under cover. My biggest problem is that the NYC area has lots of places to purchase all sorts of lumber, but the Wilmington/Myrtle Beach area doesn't.

Looking forward to participating here as my time allows.

cskipper

Cathy
Wow - that's an impressive resume! I look forward to learning a lot from you. Enjoy the group!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Howard, I knew you had some background to support all the solid advice you have been dispensing all these years :-D . I am so glad that we got the log-in straightened out for you, and that you decided to join our little community. I look forward to your participation in the forums.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Howard!

I am glad that Steve was able to help you out in getting your NCWW membership all worked out!:eusa_clap Being a relative newbie to woodworking, its folks like yourself that provide us with tons of inspiration and encouragement.

I look forward to your future posts and guidance in this wonderful world of NC woodworking!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Howard, we welcome your (re)addition to North Carolina Woodworker. :icon_thum

Hope you feel comfortable here and contribute as you have elsewhere. As an occasional woodnet visitor I know you have a lot to share :cool:

Why Not?
Sapwood

bonewood

New User
Alan
Canuck said:
Welcome Howard!

I am glad that Steve was able to help you out in getting your North Carolina Woodworker membership all worked out!:eusa_clap Being a relative newbie to woodworking, its folks like yourself that provide us with tons of inspiration and encouragement.

I look forward to your future posts and guidance in this wonderful world of NC woodworking!

Wayne

Wayne
Is that pic West Point on the Eno??

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Howard, welcome back to NCWW. I look forwarded to reading your input to our forums.....especially in the area of finishing.

D L

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Howard and welcome to the site! Since we're practically neighbors maybe we'll sometime when I'm in Southport.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Welcome to the site Howard. It definitely sounds like we will be able to learn something for you. Thanks for joining and feel free to pitch in at any time.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site. It sounds like you will be a perfect match to the site. I look forward to getting to know you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS