finally lidded the desk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this has been done for a couple of weeks but just got it installed. lousy wheather for finishing and a touch of the flu have kept me mostly out of the shop these past 2 weeks. I managed a toy day this week but other than that been stckin close to the puter.:gar-La; well LOML got the temporary desk top cleared off last night and we moved the permanant top in from the shop. [glad to free up my large bench!] my desk has been out there on the other bench ready to spray for over 2 weeks but I didnt want to spray with a finished top right next to it.:nah: anyway I think I may have mixed some maple in with the QS sycamore but the contrast looks great and most rookies wont know the differance anyway.:rotflm: wipe on poly for the top and it turned out fairly good.

IMG_9385.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9389.JPG

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
WOW Fred, that came out real nice bro. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
If you adopt me would I get a desk that nice in my room? If so where to I sign up? :gar-La;

Brian.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
WOW Fred, that came out real nice bro. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
If you adopt me would I get a desk that nice in my room? If so where to I sign up? :gar-La;

Brian.

prolly not but I know where there is an OLD desk you can get fer free!:rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really looks great, Fred!!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Sure looks heavy and very solid! Hoping that you won't have to move it too soon!:no:

That top looks like a really serious glue up:elvis:. The corner looks like it is a perfect match at he 45. Now how did you cut that pretty corner? (Inquiring newbie minds.)

Great work!

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Really looks great, Fred!!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Sure looks heavy and very solid! Hoping that you won't have to move it too soon!:no:

That top looks like a really serious glue up:elvis:. The corner looks like it is a perfect match at he 45. Now how did you cut that pretty corner? (Inquiring newbie minds.)

Great work!

Wayne

:gar-Bi I cut the miter with a skill saw. I made a sled for the saw and clamped it on the workpiece. kinda like the festool or dewally but MUCH MUCH cheaper!:gar-La;

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Wow
Fred, that is a great looking desk. We've all heard that wood talks and that is screaming "look at me". Very nice. :icon_cheers

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
WHAT? fairly good - Man that thing looks great:icon_thum:eusa_clap
Yeah, that looks terrific! What is it with woodworkers and modesty. Imagine if Sam Maloof said he was "almost competent on a good day" - how do you think that makes the rest of us feel! :rolf:

Beautiful desk Fred. The sled for your circular saw sounds intriguing, got any pics? (Yes, Joe has infected me with Jig Disease. It's cheaper than WGD, but a lot more work!)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Looks really great.

But for those of us too lazy to come up our own ideas; how about a pic underneath of the miter bracing at the corner.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Dang Fred, that looks great!!

I couldn't put anything on top of that desk, it's too purty to hide!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Bas. I dont have any pics of the jig but all it is is a piece of 1/4" plywood about 5 feet long and around 10" wide [I wanted it to break down sheet goods] with a strait piece of scrap attached along the length. then run the skill saw down the length with the shoe against the scrap and voila strait edge guide.:gar-La; I placed the strait scrap near the center so I could use the side away from the saw to clamp it down. It works just like the festool without the rubber strips to keep it from sliding. [must clamp it] the joint is not glued. I wanted to be able to take it apart if I have to. it has biskits for alignment, pocket screws from both sides every 6-8" and a plywood cleat about 6" wide.:gar-Bi didnt want to over do it!:rotflm:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Holy cow, Fred . . . there you go again.
More eye poppin' projects :gar-shock
I don't think I would get much work done on that desk. I'd just sit there looking and rubbing it :eek:ccasion1

Roger

J

jeff...

Man is that purdy or what :thumbs_up and they say sycamore is only good for pallets :crossedlips:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
all it is is a piece of 1/4" plywood about 5 feet long and around 10" wide [I wanted it to break down sheet goods] with a strait piece of scrap attached along the length. then run the skill saw down the length with the shoe against the scrap and voila strait edge guide.:gar-La;
OK, I see what you mean. In fact, I have one of those. One side is for running the saw to the left of the jig, and the other side is for, eh, also running the saw on the left side of the jig... Yeah, I managed to accidentally "trim" it :embaresse :embaresse:embaresse when I wasn't paying attention.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
OK, I see what you mean. In fact, I have one of those. One side is for running the saw to the left of the jig, and the other side is for, eh, also running the saw on the left side of the jig... Yeah, I managed to accidentally "trim" it :embaresse :embaresse:embaresse when I wasn't paying attention.

:rotflm: im workin on my third one:embarrassed: only messed up one the other is lost! I think......:gar-La;

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Very Sweet. You make sound sorta easy, I think, not sure.

Very nice indeed

:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS