Finally Built Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Well after being a member for over a year seems like a good a time as any to try to post a pic of a recent project. Seems the past year has been spent on remodel projects at work, setting up shop,acquiring tools, and trying to learn from the braintrust here.
Here is a mantel I built for a friend that acquired a vent free gas log insert. He wanted a few different dimensions than anything he could find at the borgs. He brought me a sheet of birch, a sheet of mdf and with some leftover matl. laying around the shop this is what I came up with.
Thanks for looking.
Mike

MANTEL1.JPG

skeeter

New User
Charles
Very nice indeed!! I like the lines and all the moulding. Be sure to post pix when insert is in and everything is completed.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That looks great, I love the bold caps and the edge on the shelf is very nicely done. Plus, the paint job is outstanding, getting a smooth finish like that ain't easy! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike, that's a beautiful "first effort." Can't wait to see your work a year from now!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:wsmile:

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Plenty of flaws there, just plenty of white paint and wood filler smoothing things out. This type of painting process was completely new to me (HVLP & Waterbased paint). Sprayed waterbased SW Proclassic enamel with a porter cable PSH 1 HVLP 2.3 tip. To be honest, I spent more time on the finish then I did building the unit. After fighting orange peel or sags with every ratio of Floetrol, water, XIM latex extender, paint and air pressure I have ever read about, been recommended or had nightmares about I threw in the towel and went back to oil based paint after about 6 tries with 2 quarts of the waterbased. No more having to let everything dry out / sand down and start over again. I really want to learn how to get that waterbased enamel to lay down so I will be trying it again. But on this one I was a week behind on the promise date and just ready use something I knew I had sprayed well with a conventional siphon type gun before.
Thanks again for all of your generous comments,
Mike

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Nice work! You should make a picture when it is installed and post it. I bet it will look great in its new home. :eusa_clap

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I really want to learn how to get that waterbased enamel to lay down so I will be trying it again.
Mike, if you ever figure it out, let me know. I have not been able to spray water-based paint either, at least not in a satisfactory manner. Went through the same water/ floetrol/ orange peel problems, ended up thinning it drastically and spraying everything flat...waiting inbetween sides. Not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors